Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the troubleshooting forum but maybe it is better to repost here.
I have a 68 Camaro that was basically stripped and ready to be turned into a drag car. Every darn thing in this car is hot wired so I can't really trace anything.

All of a sudden, out of nowhere, when you go to turn on your directional signal, all the gauges drop to zero and the blinkers do not function.
The fuel gauge continues to work but even the tach which is not part of the gaue assembly drops to zero.
Funny thing is that the hazard lights work fine.

If I disconnect the flasher and try the blinkers, obviously they don't work, but the gauges stay fine.

I don't know where to turn. I have tried to follow wires but there is so much that is cut and disconnected that I have no clue what's what.

Anybody have any ideas on where I can look??

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
That's a "standard 67-68 thing"

You've lost the ground to the cluster. The factory grounding system is a couple pieces of flat steel that attach from the cluster up to the high beam indicator and from there to the top center screw that holds the plastic housing to the dash structure. The whole arrangement is iffy at best.

I ran a wire from the top right screw on the cluster (one of the speedo mounting screws) to a good ground on the dash structure.

It's also worth noting that the factory grounding arrangement only has a chance of working if the housing is bolted in, if you're testing with it all hanging loose, you have no ground.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a "standard 67-68 thing"

You've lost the ground to the cluster. The factory grounding system is a couple pieces of flat steel that attach from the cluster up to the high beam indicator and from there to the top center screw that holds the plastic housing to the dash structure. The whole arrangement is iffy at best.

I ran a wire from the top right screw on the cluster (one of the speedo mounting screws) to a good ground on the dash structure.

It's also worth noting that the factory grounding arrangement only has a chance of working if the housing is bolted in, if you're testing with it all hanging loose, you have no ground.
Everything is bolted in. Nothing hanging loose.
I know that wire you talk about, and I made sure it was tightly bolted behind the cluster and I ran it down to the steering column.
I don't think it is that because when that comes loose the fuel gauge doesn't work.

I will look at it again, but I think that wire is secure.

One thing I did notice is that all the gauges on the console have 3 prongs on the back. The voltage meter only has 2 prongs used and the others have all 3 used. Could that be a factor?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
You didn't mention console gauges in your previous post, that changes things a bit as far as where the problem could be physically located.

It is, still, a grounding issue. Electricity will seek out a path if it can. Lacking a proper path to ground, the systems often seek a path thru various lighting circuits, all the lights in our cars offer a low resistance path to ground... until you power up the lights.

To be more help, we really need more details. Factory console gauges or aftermarket?
You mention a volt gauge, the factory console gauge setup doesn't have this, it has a meter labelled AMPS. You also mention "a lot of things hot wired" This condition makes it tough in a text box. While we know how these cars were wired from the factory, and even in most cases how "add-ons" should be wired, with these old cars you really could be dealing with almost anything, hard to tell from here.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you JIM M!!!!

You didn't mention console gauges in your previous post, that changes things a bit as far as where the problem could be physically located.

It is, still, a grounding issue. Electricity will seek out a path if it can. Lacking a proper path to ground, the systems often seek a path thru various lighting circuits, all the lights in our cars offer a low resistance path to ground... until you power up the lights.

To be more help, we really need more details. Factory console gauges or aftermarket?
You mention a volt gauge, the factory console gauge setup doesn't have this, it has a meter labelled AMPS. You also mention "a lot of things hot wired" This condition makes it tough in a text box. While we know how these cars were wired from the factory, and even in most cases how "add-ons" should be wired, with these old cars you really could be dealing with almost anything, hard to tell from here.
OK JIM!
You were right!

I put my hand up behind the cluster and found that the ground wire had somehow got severed. It wasn't an easy task to splice it but I got it done.
Everything is fine now. By the way, I believe that the console gauges are aftermarket. Something like "autometer".

Anyway...You da man!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts