Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had just recently purchased an 84 camaro sport coupe....and everything works but the blinkers....the garage that it is at is havin trouble finding the problem and i am clueless on it myself....i was hopin u could help me out as to findin or tellin me what the problem might be so i could inform the garage that has my car....we checked the fuses and the flashers...but nothin seems to help...please help me

·
10,147 Posts
One thing I'd do is check that you have all the right bulbs in there. Someone could have put the wrong one in and it can cause a short or crossed circuts.
I know on later chevy pickups, they use double filament bulbs for backup lamp, even though they dont use the other filament. Some people mistakenly put a single contact bulb in there and it shorts the circut.
Your car probably uses the plastic base bulbs, they can melt the contacts in the socket if, the brakelights were to stay on for any length of time.
My cousin has a big dog he takes in his pickup. The dog lays on the brake pedal and sleeps. This melts the sockets.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I think we need to back up a bit on this one. Do the blinkers and the brake lights use the same circuit, wiring, and bulb filament, or are the brake lights and signal separate on an '84? If they are the same, then all the wiring is common. Do the brake lights work? (All of them, at the proper brightness) If not, there is probably a bad ground at the tail light assy. Do the signals come on but not flash? Or not come on at all? If they come on, the flasher is bad or incorrect. (be careful here, late models have a bunch of things under the dash that "look" like turn signal flashers) If they don't come on at all, start checking the steering column, the switch, and all connectors. Do you have an aftermarket steering wheel on it? Sometimes the adapters for these can cause problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts