Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the deal, previous owner wired in all new auto meter gauges into stock locations ( did a really good job ).
The problem I'm having is when I turn the blinkers on, the tach & speedo blink alot (same speed as the blinker and they are wired directly into the fuse block on a ign lead) the other gauges in the consule blink also, not as bad as the "dash lights ". The car does have a 1 wire alternator if that matters. I'm thinking grounding issues or ??????
thnx in advance

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Yah, I would guess ground missing or bad. Feedback causing lights to blink. Gray wire powers the gauge lights from factory. Might try using that instead, too. Unless you don't mind not dimming them...

I would try grounding the instruments, all of them. The factory gauges had at least one ground from the housing to the dash. The turn and instrument lights grounded through the gauge body, instrument housing, to the dash (really via a printed circuit board in '67-8). The "idiot lights" had a different circuit...

See what is holding the gauge in the housing. Clamp? Screws? If it is metal and goes into the gauge (no wires connected to it!), run a wire to the column bracing. That is what was done in most cases from the factory...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts