Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was about ready to assemble the 383 (got all the parts,rotating assembly balanced) ,but when i took it out of the machine shop bag i noticed the oil return holes were badly obstructed and the casting was very rough (hecho en mexico block)!i went ahead and opened up the front and rear oil returns,chamfered the lifter valley return holes,knocked off the sharp edges on the whole block and did some smoothing of the rough spots.
the block as it came from the shop had cam bearings installed,front and rear oil galleys plugged and brass freeze plugs installed.
question is,will i be able to clean the block thoroughly enough with a power washer or car wash sprayer?the block was thoroughly cleaned and coated with a rust preventative after machining.
thank's in advance for your replies!
Eric B

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Go to your gun shop and get rifle cleaning brushes. Remove every npt plug and start cleaning.
High pressure wash and/or compressed air definitely required.
It would be best to have the cam bearings removed if you can.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Yes, use the gunbarrel brushes at the carwash along with a cup of diesel fuel and then spray h-ll outta her with soapy water and then again with clear rinse water!

Bag her and hurry home and use an air compressor to blow her dry ASAP.

And don't be supprised if your cylinderwalls flash rust right before your eyes if they are freshly bored! Just wipe them down quickly with some ATF or 20wt oil ASAP too.

No biggie, but it is a shock to watch how fast flash oxidation happens on CLEAN freshly machined metal!! Was to me anyway...

pdq67

1 - 3 of 3 Posts