Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 454 that I was removing the drain plugs from it because I'm in NY and the antifreeze looked real weak. I managed to get 1 side off, but it wasn't easy. The other side, I wasn't so luck, the plug stripped. These are the Allen Wrench ones. I tried going slightly larger size using a metrick wrench, but no luck getting the thing to budge.

What's the best way to get it out - drill it? I don't want to mess up the block:(

I blew the motor out with an air hose, but I'm worried that enough is left in it to damage it. Plus, I should really fix it for future use - put the square style in this time.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Can you weld an allen wrench into it? And still be able to turn it? I wouldn't go drilling under the car.

I try to make myself do several things re block drains.
Throw square head or allen plugs as far as I can.
Put petcocks instead if I have them around.
If I don't have petcocks I put 1/4"MNPT forged steel hex head plugs(9/16).

·
Super Moderator
32,431 Posts
Yes, a Pain in the butt. GM hired or still has, the gorilla on the employment list.

Since the plugs are socket plug, you can drill out the center to drain the coolant and rinse out the sediment at the bottom of the water jacket.

A couple of choices:
1. You drill and tap the remaining 1/4 NPT plug for a 1/8 NPT petcock.
2. Get a Gr 5 bolt to fit the socket depth and gave it 360° welded to the plug.
3. Some have said to drip candle wax over the threads, but the block needs to be upside down as on an engine stand. Kind of hard to defeat gravity.
4. Buy a Harry Potter wand from the Wizard store.

I suggest on the drvr side, since the drain is close to the engine isolator, to install first a 45° elbow with it pointing some to the rear, then install the petcock.

I would also suggest in installing petcocks and hand tighten them the petcock, but add 1/2 turn of the body into the block.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!! The motor is out of the car on the engine stand. I might try the welded allen wrench or bolt thing. Once I get it out, the same type aren't going back in - it will be the petcock or the hex plug!!

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
And teflon tape to keep the new one from seizing in the block again?

What do the plumbers in the group say on this one? This is their bread and butter.

alan

·
Registered
267 Posts
At the machine shop they heat the plug cherry red (not the block) and rub parafin (i.e. candle wax) on it while its hot. They seem to have good luck getting any stuck engine plug using this method. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I use silicone on the block drain threads, oil gallery plugs and a few other things. Silicone seals damgood and in a few years the fitting will remove very easily. Whereas liquid PTFE has a tendency to glue stuff together after about 5 years or so and I don't like the brittle little chunkies it leaves behind. It seals though. I use different stuff in different applications, and I work on machinery that does 24/7/365 duty and sometimes pressures in excess of 1000psig.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
I just took mine out about a month ago. I thought all the water drained out. I tilted the engine on the stand and another 1/2 gallon poured out. There is still water in the block so when you do get the plug out tilt it on each side. I'm assuming its out of the car. Good luck.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes - it's on a stand I just bought. I had a 3 leg stand, but the 454 made it look tiny. I picked up one that is rated at 2k pounds - looks like my hoist:) It rolls around the garage nice - big casters. I'll rotate it around and use the air hose and make sure it's all out.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
And teflon tape to keep the new one from seizing in the block again?

What do the plumbers in the group say on this one? This is their bread and butter.

alan
I've had it with teflon tape! I'm using Permatex#2 on all my stuff as of this summer. Right back to the sixties! I'm tired of stuff leaking. And one never knows when teflon tape is gonna fail.
I just R&R's my 1K psi salt water pump for my watermaker (on my sailboat) with Permatex#2. Yep, the teflon failed after the last rebuild 4 years ago. Salt water dripping all over the diesel.:mad:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts