Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a new heater box in the engine compartment on the firewall and was about to install the new blower motor and fan, but for some reason it won't fit! The blower motor and fan are ~3/8" too deep to seat up against the heater box. Am I missing something here?? This is for my 69 that did not have a heater box at all, just a custom fit cover for the hole in the firewall (which explains why my heater never worked). Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only seals I've seen are for under the dash and I need one for the heater box firewall cover. I've looked in both Rick's and Classic Industry, both do not mention a firewall seal.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Is the fan cage hitting the firewall?

If so, do you have the right blower fan installed. There are two, one for A/C and one for non A/C. The fan cage may be deeper (longer) on an A/C fan than a non A/C fan, I've never compared two side by side though.

I've got a non A/C fan sitting up in my attic that I can measure the depth of if needed.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fan I bought from Rick's measures 2 3/4" and the total depth from the mounting surface of the motor to end of the fan is 3 3/8". Rick's never mentioned an option of a different fan for A/C. I am curious what size is the fan you have.

I appreciate the help.

Dan

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
The A/C fan is actually smaller than a Non A/C fan by about 1/4 to 3/8" in both length and diameter. I couldn't take my two apart so I measured the actual fan cage. The A/C fan cage is 5 1/2" in diameter 2 1/2" tall. The non A/C fan cage is 5 3/4" in diameter and 2 3/4" tall.

The A/C fan cage is metal, the non A/C fan is plastic.

The A/C motor is a smooth cylinder, while the non A/C motor has a smaller end cap by about 1/8" in dameter, and 3/4" in length where the bearings are located on the end furthest from the firewall.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts