Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey whutz up guys? i've got a question....what do u think of a blower system on a 350 in an 82 camaro? i dont think im ready for that yet, but was thinking about setting the engine up so it would be an easy transition when i do decide. so if any of you have some info, or advice i welcome it. catch u later

------------------
Black 82 Z28 t-top

·
Registered
98 Posts
Blowers fool your motor into thinking its bigger than it really is. Figure a 350 at 1.5 atmoshperes, but bump that to 2.25 atmospheres and it breathes like a 460!

In terms of the motor. Just use hi quality forged components. Steel crank, forged pistons ( preferably blower pistons which are heavy in the right areas ), polish/rebuild rods with arp fastensers, and meticulous valve guide clearances. Other than that, its a nice 100 HP boost.

You'll be wanting low 8:1 compression I would guess, so until you get a blower on there, you'll have a low power slug unless you happen to have a set of early 64cc heads you can swap on for the time being.

------------------
Gene C.
67 Chevelle SS 427/L88

[This message has been edited by 427TRI (edited 08-21-2000).]

·
Registered
523 Posts
Good Advice 427,

My suggestion would be to go with a centrifical supercharger like an ATI. The Blower does look trick but a centrifical is much more efficient and by using an intercooler it will generate less heat than a roots blower setup. You could run higher compression with this setup compared to a blower setup. If you stayed in the 9-9.5 to 1 compression range (MAX) with aluminum heads you could safely run say 8 lbs. of boast for a 30-40% increase over the normally aspirated motor. This would turn a fairly mild 350 horse motor into a 475 horse motor and because you don't have to run 7.5-8 to 1 compression, it would still run good before the boast start to kick in (usually around 2500 RPM).

NOTE: I would not try this without forged pistons. If you have cast iron heads I would stay in the 8.5 to 9 to 1 compression range as a MAX. A good head seal is vital in this case (FELPRO gaskets and block studs are a good idea). The studs are PROBABLY a little overkill at 8 lbs. of boast but I always play it a little safe in this area.

If you go crazy on the boast, you are going to need a sronger bottom end, o-ringed cylinder bores, etc.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
sr71bb hit the nail on the head. My combination runs a little over 9.5:1 compression (with aluminum heads) and I run 9 psi with 92 octane pump gas.

My bottom end includes a 4 bolt block with ARP main studs, GM "pink code" connecting rods with ARP bolts, forged steel crank, and TRW forged blower pistons (with a 21cc dish).

You can visit my web site to get more retailed info on my engine.

------------------
Hugger Orange & white 69 Camaro with supercharged 350, Tremec TKO, and 3.73 12-bolt

See my website updated 8/13/00 at:

www.geocities.com/gheatly

·
Registered
222 Posts
Having run two blower motors, one for the street and one killer pro-steet set-up, go for the blower. You won't be sorry. Pay attention to your bottom end, use the best parts you can afford and don't overdue the compression ratio. Blowers will cover-up some carb and cam problems and EFI setups work well for street/strip. Injection is nice, but I'd rather be BLOWN!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts