Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Thanks for all of the help with the last thread I posted where I was looking for help on the value of a gold Camaro. You helped me avoid a disappointing purchase that was way overpriced.

I got in contact with another shop that had another 1968 Camaro available. It will need full paint.

Here is the work done to it, along with some extra photos:
Stock frame w/ cal track bars
Fram connectors
Ratio 3.90 Gear / 9" Housing
4 Wheel Wilwood Power Disc brakes
Split Mono Leaf rear suspension
Tubular a-arms front suspension
Power steering march front system
Front 18x8
Rear 20x10

ENGINE 377 cu" sbc
Cast iron heads
edelbrock holley induction
Headman headers
TRANSMISSION Turbo 400 / Hughes Torque

4" cowl hood
Stock grill
Stock headlights/taillights

Stock dash
Holley digital gauges
Aftermarket stereo
Stock steering wheel/column
Corbeau bucket seats

Any help is appreciated! This one looks promising, with some nice modifications.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,435 Posts
A lot of random stuff bolted on that one in an attempt to increase value. Its a personal choice but that hood is hideous imho….

Mid 20’s maybe in its current state. Body condition is unknown. No pics of underside which I suspect Is rusty….

Don

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
That car has had a hard life

Reactions: allanjs

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I agree with Don, how much are they asking? What is your objective, driver, mostly stock, modified? All the add ons in my opinion detract from the value of the car. Paint and body work could cost $10k or more.

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
I was in the shop and saw this car last Friday, I wasn't really "looking" at it, but I didn't see any obvious rust. I was there having some AN lines built so I was hanging in the fab shop.

It's just a Ca. car that needs Paint for sure, looked like it had good bones though. All depends on where you want to start I guess.

I remember Hydro boost and a/c as I walked by it.
I don't remember seeing any leaf springs under it when I peaked at it's @ ss. but I could be wrong.

This place builds race cars and some real nice hot rods, they'll probably tear it apart and build it for a client, but they're super busy so this is why they want to sell it I suspect.

The hood does have to go though, lol.

Here is the pic I took of the rear, I didn't want to kneel down to look so just stuck my phone under there.

Does look like cal tracs, and a 9"

I just remembered the Holley Digital dash too.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
that hood's easy / cheap to replace, you don't really need that it to be that tall - PS fender looks like there's some bondo wavy-ness to me. Lot of fancy parts, but the paint and body work might be 10-20K or more depending on what you find Unless you are doing it yourself) and the quality of build you want. The trunk gap says there's probably a fair amount of work to do on it. Really depends on what they want for it and how much you want to have in a car when done

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with Don, how much are they asking? What is your objective, driver, mostly stock, modified? All the add ons in my opinion detract from the value of the car. Paint and body work could cost $10k or more.
It's a restoration shop that modifies them to become race cars. I'll attach some more photos. They were asking $33k. The body needs paint for sure, but it sounds like it's in good shape otherwise. No rust. I planned on looking at it this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
I recently bought a rot free, 70% original paint 71 429 Cobra Jet 4 speed, 50k mile Torino. Road ready driver for $16.5. A righteous muscle car. No way I would touch that Camaro for what they are asking.

Unless it is bodywork by a backyarder who likes to work dirt cheap, 10K will not get that car in paint.

·
15,491 Posts
In my opinion the shop is selling this car only because they know it will take much more time and money than they can invest and still sell for a profit.

Whether you make or lose money on a build is determined the day you buy the project car.

In reality you’ll lose on some cars even if you got them for free.

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
@ilikeike

Thank you for the help and participation on this thread. Credit to you for providing those photos!
At least it doesn’t have new paint, then we’d all wonder what is hiding. Lol

I recently bought a rot free, 70% original paint 71 429 Cobra Jet 4 speed, 50k mile Torino. Road ready driver for $16.5. A righteous muscle car. No way I would touch that Camaro for what they are asking.

Unless it is bodywork by a backyarder who likes to work dirt cheap, 10K will not get that car in paint.
The guy is trying to find a Camaro for I'm guessing around $30k. Why not help him out with a Camaro you've seen with some nice upgrades, ready to go, no rust and a paint job worthy of you admiration for $16k or even $25k.

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
At least it doesn’t have new paint, then we’d all wonder what is hiding. Lol

The guy is trying to find a Camaro for I'm guessing around $30k. Why not help him out with a Camaro you've seen with some nice upgrades, ready to go, no rust and a paint job worthy of you admiration for $16k or even $25k.
Right place, right time and what one's network is. Most just need to work hard to find a reasonably priced vehicle, and the majority will overpay for cars. Bought a nice 60K mile 95 Marquis yesterday for 2500. Rot free. Sorry, I don't have countless xtra hours per week to find cars for people. Search the country and avoid dealers. I have a line on a 77 Monte original paint rot free car, mint interior 50 k original mile and garage kept. They have a following. Guy approached me to buy it from him and I have not seen him in twenty years. I can buy it for less than it is worth. Luck and networking.

·
15,491 Posts
To Scotts Point. Many say luck. In fact people tell me all the time I've been lucky with the cars I've found and purchased.

Well, it's NOT luck. It's a lot of hard work and learning to sift through the BS to find good cars at a fair price. Yeah once in a while something may fall in your lap. But like Scott said it's the networking that causes the "fall in your lap" to happen. Not luck.

And stay away from dealer unless you like getting ..... without even dinner and a kiss.

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
15 minutes after my last post I got a call from a long time friend who is buried in the hobby and has a large collection. 1 mile from his house is a 79 rot free Z. Black on black 4 speed, low mileage ZZ CRATE motor. Nice driver paint and mint interior. Factory red stripes. $10k. We're gonna buy it and flip it. I owned one years ago but not in love with it emough to keep it.

John is right in a way. Not really luck but a life of doing this all the time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To Scotts Point. Many say luck. In fact people tell me all the time I've been lucky with the cars I've found and purchased.

Well, it's NOT luck. It's a lot of hard work and learning to sift through the BS to find good cars at a fair price. Yeah once in a while something may fall in your lap. But like Scott said it's the networking that causes the "fall in your lap" to happen. Not luck.

And stay away from dealer unless you like getting ..... without even dinner and a kiss.
It seems like they aren't dealers, just a restoration/racing shop. So I've got that going for it at least :)

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
Everyone is a car dealer now so deals have come farther and few between for me then years past. It does take some luck now IMO to find an unbutchered Camaro and I am in California where they were on every street until a few years ago. I have had legwork payoff in the past bigtime but there are just not the cars anymore.

FWIW I have a numbers matching 2nd year RS Z that I had agreed to sell to someone for 33K in a non running state (NO LONGER FOR SALE)
but we could not agree on how money was to be paid. The point I am making is the car listed above will have you upside down in value from the very start. I personally would not give even 30K for that blue thing, not close.

·
15,491 Posts
The best deals I've made have been buying project cars that towners started but, as so often happens, underestimated by a long shot the time and money it takes to build a car. Lost interest and/or ran out of or not willing to invest anymore in it. Most came with boxes of new parts at about 50 cent on the dollar.

The best from a friend. Had a 69 427 4 speed Vette. He blew the engine on the way home from getting new tires in 1976. Well big dreams of an over the top build. So stored the car and bought parts. Kept good inventory and the parts in labeled boxes. New ZZ454, Tremec TKO600 and on and on. Well after 42 years he finally realized he was never going to build the car and asked me if I wanted it.

I bought it for $17500 and sold $5000 worth of parts I didn't want.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I agree with the rest - I wouldn't pay over 30K personally. OP, are you aware of what's involved in and willing to go through the panel and paint process? Speaking from the situation in Australia at the moment which I've heard is similar to the US - all the good shops that will provide a quality paint job are booked for years in advance and you'll pay handsomely when your turn comes up. Any shop that is quiet and can take a job on instantly and/or for cheap is usually that way for a good reason (read: poor quality). So you've already added time + expense of a project and the aspects that come with it before you'll be enjoying the car on the road. Is this what you want? Because for 33K you can find clean driver quality 67/68s that you can begin enjoying straight away and you'll be way ahead time/money wise compared to a project.

This has been for sale for a while and looks pretty rough in the photos. I can only imagine the horror in person. Maybe one to avoid...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree with the rest - I wouldn't pay over 30K personally. OP, are you aware of what's involved in and willing to go through the panel and paint process? Speaking from the situation in Australia at the moment which I've heard is similar to the US - all the good shops that will provide a quality paint job are booked for years in advance and you'll pay handsomely when your turn comes up. Any shop that is quiet and can take a job on instantly and/or for cheap is usually that way for a good reason (read: poor quality). So you've already added time + expense of a project and the aspects that come with it before you'll be enjoying the car on the road. Is this what you want? Because for 33K you can find clean driver quality 67/68s that you can begin enjoying straight away and you'll be way ahead time/money wise compared to a project.

This has been for sale for a while and looks pretty rough in the photos. I can only imagine the horror in person. Maybe one to avoid...
The problem is it sounds like everything is going to be overpriced. I haven't seen anything that's a clean driver-quality 67/68 for the prices I've seen people estimate. And like others have said, seems like everyone is a dealer, so they'll just be asking $40k+ for a $25-30k Camaro. Unless I just happened to luck into knowing the right people, or spent 30 years forming connections.

I'm absolutely open to help finding a proper clean driver-quality Camaro, but that's something I can't expect from anyone here, I've already gotten so much help. Unless someone happens to come across one in their own searching, I'd feel bad if anyone went out of their way to search.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts