Team Camaro Tech banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
Without a network and connections, buying a classic ready to hit the road at a decent price is a losing affair. People buy boats and lose cash. A new car loses money one second after you buy it. Bought my nice crew cab 97 powerstroke for $10K. Go price a new one. Find a quality car you like, expect to pay more than its worth , let it rip and deal with it.

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
Everything is overpriced right now. I have a 2021 pickup that is worth more than I paid new-never in my time have I seen it.
I will keep my eyes open for you for sure.

·
15,491 Posts
We don’t mind at all and happy to pass on any leads we have.

the good for you is you’re asking BEFORE you buy.

lots of horror stories from guys that asked after they overpaid for a crap car.

Reactions: Sauron67MM

·
Registered
222 Posts
The problem is it sounds like everything is going to be overpriced. I haven't seen anything that's a clean driver-quality 67/68 for the prices I've seen people estimate. And like others have said, seems like everyone is a dealer, so they'll just be asking $40k+ for a $25-30k Camaro. Unless I just happened to luck into knowing the right people, or spent 30 years forming connections.

I'm absolutely open to help finding a proper clean driver-quality Camaro, but that's something I can't expect from anyone here, I've already gotten so much help. Unless someone happens to come across one in their own searching, I'd feel bad if anyone went out of their way to search.
Speaking from my own experiences, I can tell you I don't 'know the right people', I haven't made 30 years of connections (I'm only 26 years old...), and add to this I'm on the other side of the globe (Australia) to 98% of the first-gen Camaro market and I still managed to find and purchase what I would consider a good deal last month out of Ohio (factory triple black 68 coupe, matching numbers, documentation, restored to immaculate condition - multiple trophy winner) for well under 40K USD. There is a lot of overpriced cars out there at the moment - it's undeniable. I've seen cars sell at 35K and a week later be relisted at 45K, cars with serious cash-absorbing issues sell for ludicrous pricing, etc. This doesn't mean the good cars have just disappeared, however it does mean you need to be very active on the market and quick moving. Good deals are no longer taking a day or two to move; they're gone within hours.

What market sources are you checking? How frequent? Are you willing to put a deposit down on something potentially interesting with very short notice? Willing to travel to anywhere in the country to view a car if need be? You have the huge benefit of being in the US where you can sight cars in person, talk face to face with owners, be quick to deliver cash in hand to them, etc - I didn't/don't have that luxury and was still able to secure a good deal so it is definitely possible.

Pity you aren't in Australia as I've helped a few others over here secure good clean first-gen Camaros at fair pricing and would've absolutely helped.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro RS/SS
158 Posts
That car is a Frankenstein money pit. I might go $12-15k on a drunken lark.

run away, run away

·
Registered
5 Posts
A lot of random stuff bolted on that one in an attempt to increase value. Its a personal choice but that hood is hideous imho….

Mid 20’s maybe in its current state. Body condition is unknown. No pics of underside which I suspect Is rusty….

Don
I agree with Don on this one and that rear quarter is rough. Who knows what else you are going to find. I especially agree with the hood comment. 4 inch cowl hoods look terrible on drivers. I would avoid and your paint and body would be at least $15,000

21 - 27 of 27 Posts