Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I bought a Blueprint 383 crate motor with roller rockers back in Feb. 2015 and have put about 4k on it so far. It's a great motor, makes lots of power and has a great sound. I have two small issues with it so far:

1. The oil pressure runs high, 85 psi, and if I give it a little gas it'll go above 100.
2. The brand new radiator I installed is developing gunk around the fill neck, from what I believe to be a leaky head gasket. I'm pretty the engine is leaking exhaust gases in the coolant.

I sent an email last night and they had already emailed me back when I woke up. One of their techs called me this afternoon and was very helpful and is sending me a new oil pump to replace the possibly faulty one. I've heard they have great customer service and would like to keep you guys updated on what is going on and what the outcome is.

Here's a question. Should I replace the oil pump myself? Is that going to fix the high oil pressure? Also, should I have them send me to a shop? I don't mind replacing it, but I don't have a lift and from what I read, I'll have to lift the engine to get the oil pan out.

Any help is appreciated.

·
14,097 Posts
Pump is easy to change. The trick is getting the oil pan of and back on again with it in the car.

#2 is getting it back together so it doesn't leak.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Are your PSI's accurate ??? What gauge(s) are you using ?? I'm at 80 cold on a BBC. What oil are you using ?? I'm gonna say pump is NOT bad.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've tried a couple different ones and they all say the same thing. I forgot to mention that I have a brown-grey gunk around the fill neck of the brand new radiator, which from what I understand points to a blown head gasket, right?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are your PSI's accurate ??? What gauge(s) are you using ?? I'm at 80 cold on a BBC. What oil are you using ?? I'm gonna say pump is NOT bad.
I'm using a 10W40. The gauge is from classic instruments. I've also used a manual gauge. If it's not the pump, what could it be? Some sort of blockage?

·
14,097 Posts
Oil filter bypass valve?

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
I would pressure test the radiator and see if it holds.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
You may have a high volume/ high pressure oil pump. What is the PSI's at operating temps?? Cold temps will always be higher, just an FYI.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
I'm using a 10W40. The gauge is from classic instruments. I've also used a manual gauge. If it's not the pump, what could it be? Some sort of blockage?
You mean mechanical gauge ?? So are you using an electrical gauge now?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Bearing clearance has a major effect on oil pressure. I would review the build information and see if the clearances are on the tight side.

·
14,097 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Are you sure the cold and hot pressure is correct? 80-85 psi cold and 25 psi hot. At what rpm are you getting these readings? I used to have about the same problem with my 454 engine. I had 70 psi cold and 60 psi hot with 20w50 Havoline motor oil. The only thing I did was switch to 10w40 motor oil. After this I had 60 psi cold and 45 psi hot. My engine idled at 900 rpms.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you sure the cold and hot pressure is correct? 80-85 psi cold and 25 psi hot. At what rpm are you getting these readings? I used to have about the same problem with my 454 engine. I had 70 psi cold and 60 psi hot with 20w50 Havoline motor oil. The only thing I did was switch to 10w40 motor oil. After this I had 60 psi cold and 45 psi hot. My engine idled at 900 rpms.
I'm positive. When I start the motor in the morning it reads 80-85 psi, with the idle being about 750-850 rpm. After driving it for a bit (15 minutes or so) it'll get down to 25 psi at idle.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
I'm positive. When I start the motor in the morning it reads 80-85 psi, with the idle being about 750-850 rpm. After driving it for a bit (15 minutes or so) it'll get down to 25 psi at idle.
What happened to over 100 psi ??? I was under the impression it was way too high ?? I wouldn't worry about your oil pressure, it seems fine to me.

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
What happened to over 100 psi ??? I was under the impression it was way too high ?? I wouldn't worry about your oil pressure, it seems fine to me.
This.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts