Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of replacing the BCM on a 2000 camero V6 with a remanufactured BCM. I have tried using the relearn procedure and so far the BCM will not recognize the key. The ignition lock cylinder has been replaced with a certified GM replacement and I have followed all the instructions I can find.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so, how did you get past this?

·
Premium Member
5,348 Posts
I checked on my locksmith forum and didn't find anything related to GM cars for this issue. I don't have any experience with Automotive to speak of but if you were close I would hook up my MVP Pro programmer and possibly reset the BCM and see if I could reprogram the keys and remotes. I would talk to a local locksmith that does automotive work down there and see what advise they can give you. Normal programming up here runs about $50 plus travel or towing fees.

Jeff

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Being remanufactured, I don't know if they are like a new BCM which just learns the key resistance the very first time a key is inserted. It may have the old value still in it, and I've never tried the 30 minute relearn procedure that I figure you're looking at.

Without getting into whether or not the replacement BCM is just bad or other things, you can try getting a $5 10k potentiometer from Radio Shack and connecting it to the plug under the column for the key resistor reader. Then use your meter to set it to each of the fifteen values GM used for the keys and try until one of them hits. Once you know which one it's set to you can just make a bypass module using a few dollars worth of resistors or buy a plug-in module for $20-$30 and not have to worry about it again.

Resistor values:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts