Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
67 camaro coupe. I just finished building a body jig using the posted dimensions from Body Jig Post #106. When the body was lowered onto the jig, the left side (driver) front is raised by 3/16”. The other 3 pins are resting on the jig. Also, I had to push on the back of the jig to get the middle pins to move 1/8” to slide down on the pins. I double checked the jig and it is square and in the same plane checked by running tight fishing line corner to corner to form an X. So, I think the car is tweaked a little.
I attached a jig to pull down the left front and the car now sits on all 4 pins. There is definitely some tension as I bolted it down. The question is, should I pull the front left down?

I am planning on replacing inner and outer rockers both sides, and door jamb front lower patches.
Do you think the tension will go away after the structural rockers are cut out and replaced? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Pretty sure the tension will go away when you start cutting out the rockers.

Don

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the same thought. My method. I ran 25lb fishing line stretched tightly from the jig front left to the right mid cross member and did the same for the right front to mid left side. This made an X at the center of the body under the tunnel. The string did not deflect at the intersection. The strings wanted to cross at the same point in space. So the top of the fig frame is in the same plane or flat. I also measured from the jig frame reference to the top pad of the front pin supports(same measurement). Lastly I measured up from the frame reference jig to the mid pin support pads (same measurement).

This car is showing minor denting in the left "kidney"? area but the outer shape of the kidney seems ok. It also had a crease in the rear right quarter and the left tail section. Who knows what else has happened over the years.

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
I’m no genius but it sounds like you are at +/- 3/32” tolerances which is not too shabby imho....

Don

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments. I think the plan will be to leave the tension and remove the left side inner/outer rockers. I can easily loosen the bolt and see if it sits flat at that point and doesn't lift the 3/32". I'll go forward from there once I see what happens. Still investigating the rest of the car putting together a 'buy' list.

·
Registered
3 Posts
67 camaro coupe. I just finished building a body jig using the posted dimensions from Body Jig Post #106. When the body was lowered onto the jig, the left side (driver) front is raised by 3/16”. The other 3 pins are resting on the jig. Also, I had to push on the back of the jig to get the middle pins to move 1/8” to slide down on the pins. I double checked the jig and it is square and in the same plane checked by running tight fishing line corner to corner to form an X. So, I think the car is tweaked a little.
I attached a jig to pull down the left front and the car now sits on all 4 pins. There is definitely some tension as I bolted it down. The question is, should I pull the front left down?

I am planning on replacing inner and outer rockers both sides, and door jamb front lower patches.
Do you think the tension will go away after the structural rockers are cut out and replaced? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Can't seem to find the Body Jig Post #106 you're referencing. I'm trying to build a cart for a 67 Firebird Coupe. Can you point me in the right direction for the measurements or a diagram from which to work?

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
That's the plans I used but I had to adjust it for my needs slightly. The first time around I had trouble getting the four locating pins to line up correctly. Round two I modified the dimensions and used a 48 by 67 sheet of plywood for layout. these dimensions don't put the pinch weld over the jig in any logical method. I bolted the locating pins on and squared them before welding in place. I hope to get the car on it soon.

Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's the plans I used but I had to adjust it for my needs slightly. The first time around I had trouble getting the four locating pins to line up correctly. Round two I modified the dimensions and used a 48 by 67 sheet of plywood for layout. these dimensions don't put the pinch weld over the jig in any logical method. I bolted the locating pins on and squared them before welding in place. I hope to get the car on it soon.

Jeff
Appreciate it. That's the post I had found, but wasn't certain if it would work for a 67. I'm learning as I go and have now been told that this plan should work for the 67-69 just fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts