Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where exactly to put this but ..... I have a body mount question? I am mounting the body on my "Z". It's a tube chassis. I am using only the body panels (No inner panels). There isn't much support for the top/sail panel area, so I added a couple ''roof to cage'' mounts . (See pics.) I went to the NHRA chassis tech last week and looked around and I saw cars with roof mounts - some without. Steel body & fiberglass.
My question, do you think this will work or will I run into problems with chassis flex. My thought is these are connected to the main hoop. I don't want the roof to buckle. Most of the chassis flex should be forward of the main hoop? Am I wrong? These are the only roof mounts. The others are rocker panels door striker, door hinges, firewall, rear body panel. Also, the panel under the rear window is flimzy, so I planned to run braces up from the cage supports that pass about 3" below the window and connect to the rear frame rails. Any help would be appreciated. This being my first race car it's a learn as i go build.
I will make the brackets look purdy' once I take the body off for the final welding & paint. As an alternative to a solid mount on the roof panel, I've also thought about modifying it to be a bumper instead of bolted down. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I finished up the rocker panel body mounts & then started on the firewall. I used my trusty Menard's laser to mark out where I wanted to cut it. Then chopped off 46 lbs. of stuff. (If you count the 20lbs. I cut off a couple weeks ago. Spent a lot O' time figuring how I'm gonna' put the firewall back together. I think I have a plan so everything will fit nice and neat.
Then I stuck the front end on to see how it fit with the firewall out of the way. I had some real clearance issues before but now that the pinch welds are out of the way it fits much better. There's gonna be a bunch of work to do on the fiberglass once I start that project.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts