Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Bolt (on one side) of the goose neck for radiator on manifold is not tightening down. What options do I have?
Do I have to replace manifold or is there a way to secure the bolt.
There is a o ring gasket on goose neck that goes over the thermostat
I am posting this under cooling also.

·
15,104 Posts
Install a helicoil

Reactions: rp930

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
or drill out slightly & re-tap for the larger bolt size. You would have to drill out the goose neck also to accommodate the larger bolt size

Given you need to drill and tap for a helicoil....

whatever method takes the least amount of drill size

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
^^^^
Both are good ways to save a manifold.
If there's still are a little grip left on those threads, you replace the bolt with a stud, and use some JB Weld to permanently lock it in. (the cheap "sloppy mechanic's" method)

Reactions: Worn Out Welder

·
15,104 Posts
^^^^
Both are good ways to save a manifold.
If there's still are a little grip left on those threads, you replace the bolt with a stud, and use some JB Weld to permanently lock it in. (the cheap "sloppy mechanic's" method)
You can also wrap some steel wool around the bolt threads. Half A** when a Helicoil is cheap. easy and permanent

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
I was wondering how long it would take for that response.
Admittedly helicoil would be my choice, but for someone who might be driving a beater & doesn't have many tools or knowledge, (tap & die set, drill bit's helicoil kit). Like I said it's a cheap "sloppy mechanic's" way but one could still get some life out of old tired parts, and way better than steel wool around the bolt threads. LOL

·
Registered
834 Posts
Helicoil. Not that difficult. Permanent.

Reactions: dale68z

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just a heads up it's called a thermostat housing.
Like said above you can helicoil it or drill bigger and tap it.
Helicoil would be my first choice though

·
15,104 Posts
I was wondering how long it would take for that response.
and way better than steel wool around the bolt threads. LOL
Just saying in a pinch it works long enough to get you home or sell the heap. LOL

Reactions: 69Z28

·
Registered
936 Posts
Just saying in a pinch it works long enough to get you home or sell the heap. LOL
Put the helicoil in drilling it out to the next size 7/16ths it will look like crap how much can they charge for one 3/8ths coil. I used to charge $18 bucks to put one in the more I did the cheaper it got. Its not that hard for that job.Alex

1 - 13 of 13 Posts