Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on the suspension on my '67 vert. I want to convert to rear disc brakes. To do this I have to pull the axles. I went to take the bolt-pin of my 12 bolt rear (which I need the official name of) and it was broken. (see photo) I plan to drill through the head and put the bolt back in using as a guide for the bit and drill the pin and use an ez-out. Otherwise, I'll have to pull everything out. Either way I'm going to need a new thing a ma jig. What is this bolt-pin called?
Thanks in advance!
DSCN3974.JPG

·
Registered
748 Posts
Cross pin bolt

Reactions: gypsy jim

·
Premium Member
4,037 Posts
That bolt doesn't have many threads. Sometimes you can back it out using just a pick.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
There are a few ways to get that out, but you can not disassemble the rear end until it is out. Try using a scribe or other sharp object and see if you can turn the piece that is left in it. There is a special kit that is made for removing the pin.

There are 2 different retainers for the 12 bolt. The standard differential takes a short retainer and the Eaton Posi used a longer one. Be sure that you get the correct one for the differential that you have.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks guys. I ordered the cross pin bolt from Summit. I got the old one out. I used a piece of brake line to protect the threads and center the drill bit. I used a reverse (or left-handed) bit where the drill is used in reverse. It backed the screw right out. The pin had like 1 and a half threads remaining. Once backed out, I used a magnet. I'm so happy it's out. I do have a question. This allowed the main pin and therefore the "C" clips and axles to be removed. The main pin had some slight galling the the top side, not much, but it seemed like something was going on. Normal wear or do you need pics? Also, is this cross pin bolt breaking a common problem?
As always, thanks for all your knowledge and help.
Jimmy

·
14,687 Posts
Yes the cross pin breaking is a common issue. That's why they sell so many broken pin removal kits.

Don'r know about the galling.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Breaking the pin in a 12 bolt isn't that common. It is common in the 7.5 and 8.5 10 bolt rear ends. As for the wear on the shaft, it's from doing one wheel burnouts. One wheel burnouts are VERY destructive for a rear end and should be avoided at all times. If you plan on doing any burnouts then this is the time to install a limited slip differential and do two wheel burnouts instead of one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts