Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
I’d for sure talk to whoever is supplying your brakes, to make sure everything is
is sized correctly and compatible.

I use a 7/8” bore master for my manual 4 wheel disc setup.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
I have a 1" on mine with 4 wheel disc

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’d for sure talk to whoever is supplying your brakes, to make sure everything is

How does the pedal feel and the stopping power?

·
Registered
336 Posts
The benefits are much lower peddle pressure required to stop or slow the car assuming you have 10+hg vacuum. If you want to clean thing up under the hood you could drop the booster but you will have to deal with increased peddle effort which might not be a big deal if everything is sized correctly.
I'm running a CPP wheel disk conversion kit and the booster is essentially useless after I touch the brakes one time because I have low vacuum. The stopping effort is't bad enough to warrant buying an electric vacuum motor or switching to hydroboost - maybe someday but here in Wyoming the roads are loooooong and stoplights few and far between.

·
14,704 Posts
I do not run boosters on my Protour builds however I do run big brakes with 6 piston calipers. Pedal pressure in not much more than with a booster.

Pedal rod need to be in upper hole and you need a 7/8 or 15/16 bore master.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts

How does the pedal feel and the stopping power?
With the manual and a 7/8” bore the pedal is not as firm right away like an assisted or larger bore MC. It has more travel than a larger bore that’s moving more fluid quicker.
But it has good feel and stopping power is good. 12.88” disc 6 Piston in front with polymatrix type E pads. Rear are 11” gm. I have 12” 4 piston sitting here that I’ll be installing this year along with the torque arm suspension.

I’ll have to see if I need to move to a 15/16” bore at that time.
Either way, I prefer manual on this car/engine.

·
Registered
652 Posts
The camshaft you select for your engine build will really determine whether vacuum assisted brakes will work optimum. Higher LSA increases engine vacuum while lower decreases.

Some use Hydroboost as an alternative.
Hydratech Braking Systems :: Frequently Asked Questions

A good person for you to talk to about the pro's & cons, pressures, master cylinder diameters is Tobin from Kore brakes, very helpful and knowledgeable guy willing to help one understand before making brake upgrading selections.

Here are examples of parts used when doing an LS conversion, when space is a concern.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/acdelco,18M974,master+cylinder,1836
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/tff-2229nc/overview/

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Absolutely love my set-up! 1" bore MC, Wilwood 6-piston dynapro in the front and 4 piston dynalite pro in the rear 12.19 inch rotor all around. More than enough to stop my BB quickly and safely. If you upgraded to a bigger rotor, I would expect it to get exponentially better. I originally had 11" disc up front(wilwood) and drum in the rear with a 7/8 bore manual set-up and it was good, but this is amazing!
Might just be in my head, but the mechanical brakes seem to give you a better "feel" of the handling during braking.
With my new truck and all the advancements in technology, It was a learning curve to get used to it. As I was braking and getting close to stopping, I would be on the brakes harder getting worried I wasn't going to stop in time. Not like that at all with the Camaro.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts