Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing my new Hotchkis rear springs. The car originally had mono leaf springs. Couple of questions I was hoping to get help on.

1. The bottom shock plate on the passenger is bent in at an angle. It appears that is is just bent. I would like to confirm that the plate should be the same as the driver side.

2. Does anyone make a bottom shock plate with a built in spacer for converting from mono to multi leafs? I would like to avoid the space between the two brackets. I tourqued the u bolts (after I straighten the pass side) to 40 ft/lbs. The plates are starting to bend upward and it just doesnt look right.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
I know the shock plate s/b same ,DO NOT TORQUE ,Tighten til center bolt in spring the bottom nut just starts to protrude through bottom shock bkt. And double nut or make spacers if you want don't need to as mine are just D nuted ,any questions call Hotchkis tech dept. and talk to Drew…there R&D car was a mono car and they used all mono bkts. Happy Motoring

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
When I had mine like that, I went to the hardware store and bought some 1/4" x 1" alluminum bar, which I cut to lengths and drilled, then stacked the required number to take up the space.

Very shadetree, but it worked and the shock plates didn't bend.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Dave, most likely you are using those cheap reproduction anchor plates that bend after you torque them down. Same thing happened to me when I did the mono to multi leaf conversion on my 67. I torqued the nuts down to 35 ft. lbs and they started to bend the plates.

I've heard some guys say the anchor plates from Rick's first gen Camaros are better and have thicker metal than the other cheap ones from the other aftermarket warehouses.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Remember the '67's need mirror image plates, (i.e., like your hands), and are sandwich through bolted at the shock whereas the '68/'69's are stagger shocked so just use one plate rotated. And they use a big stud that the shock rides on w/ a nut and washer.

The later plates are a bunch heavier tho.....

pdq67

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The plates look original. I think somewhere along the line it got wacked or someone tried to jack on it... who knows, fixed now.

I backed the bolts off to so that the center bolt was just coming through the plate then I headed up to the hardware store and bought some steel gas pipe. Measured the space between the plates and cut up the pipe to make spacers. Worked very well, they ended up being just about 1" tall.

Dropped it down tonight and put a final tighten on everything. Looks great with the drop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts