Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 Camaro and I'm having a problem bottoming out even on the slightest bump. It is only in the rear. I've changed my shocks to the Hotchkiss Bilstien that are made specifically for a 67-69 Camaro and checked the bump stops but none of that seemed to help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Is it bottoming out or is your differential hitting your exhaust? Is your differential hitting the pinion snubber? Post a pic of your ride height.

Don

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,178 Posts
Broken leaf spring?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its stock ride height right now. The tires hit the inside of the fenderwell and the diff hits. Smells like burnt rubber on a bad one. It wasn't doing it before I took air shocks off trying to get a little stiffer ride. Id post pictures but its up on jacks. Im doing a LS swap and it kinda snowballed on me. Figured its torn apart might as well figure this problem out too.
No broke leafs. Could they just be worn out?

·
Premium Member
Ben - Delaware - 67 Camaro
485 Posts
worn old mono leafs? if you have it all apart, make the switch to multi-leafs and good shocks and forget about it

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,515 Posts
Are they 7" wide or 8" wide? If they are 8's with a 5" BS, then thats 1" in from what I have, and I have same tire-Same leafs, but 4-1/2 BS and 7" wide wheels.-No rubbing.
Brett....

·
Gold Lifetime Member
2,178 Posts
Those leaf springs could just be 'worn out'. Especially if they are original 48 year old springs.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
275-60 15's on mine with a 4.5" bs and it does rub on dips also. Mine are 8" rims so I am not sure if the 5" bs is hurting your situation. I don't think it's the springs. I am sure the previous owner had the air shocks there just for that reason. I have the lowering multileafs so it does sit a little lower then stock(I have air shocks for when I have passengers) I have a gauge and pump hooked up to raise and lower them on the fly from the drivers seat(cheap kit from JC Whitney)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Its stock ride height right now. The tires hit the inside of the fenderwell and the diff hits. Smells like burnt rubber on a bad one. It wasn't doing it before I took air shocks off trying to get a little stiffer ride. Id post pictures but its up on jacks. Im doing a LS swap and it kinda snowballed on me. Figured its torn apart might as well figure this problem out too.
No broke leafs. Could they just be worn out?
If it wasn't doing it before you replaced the shocks then what shock is on it now? Tires hitting should be wrong
backspace

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took air shocks off and put on Hotchkis Bilstein HPS 1000. The wheel is only 7 inches wide. I've read about everything I can think of now and I'm pretty sure it's warn out original multi leafsprings. I think the air shocks that I took off were compensating for the worn out leafs. I appreciate all y'all's help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm sorry I completely forgot because my car is torn apart and old age is sinking in. I moved the battery as well as there's 2 amps and 1 10" sub in a box all in the trunk. I'm also adding a new tank and in tank fuel pump. When I put everything back together how do I account for the added weight in the rear. Total it is 142lb. heavier than stock. I put on Hotchkis Bilstien HPS 1000 shocks to replace my leaky 80's air shocks.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I don't see how the extra weight should be a big problem since two back seat passengers would weigh considerably more. So what size are the tires and what backspace are the wheels?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts