Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing how my Firebird has about another year before it is done, I picked up a "temporary summer driver" today. :D

...It looks red in the pics, but it is actually hugger orange. The paint is only a few years old, so it is in pretty nice shape. The car over all is "driver quality" and it has new qtrs, a small patch in the trunk, and a small patch in the driver's side floor. I was told it was an LT with a non-matching engine.

Unfortunately, somone blacked out the tail lights and side markers as well as the front and rear window trim and door handles (arrgh). Any recommendations how to fix these?

Phil

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
Nice Car,

You can replace the side markers , the window chrome can be stripped and polished as it is stainless steel. Also how bad did they prep them before paint and what grit paper did they use. The door handles are chrome plated. Remove and strip the paint and they might be OK or replace them. You can also have them rechromed. It still is going to take some effort and money to change them.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. :beers:

My 1st car was a 1977 Camaro LT that I bought in high school in 1985. I took out my 1st car loan to buy it for $3500. It had a killer 350 with nice heads. However, it was a bondo bucket. I had it prettied-up in 1987 with a nice vette bright yellow with black SS stripes paint job. It was still full of bondo, but it actually looked great! I drove it until I graduated college in 1991. And by then, it had succumbed to Upstate, NY weather (I drove it in the winter!) and gravity set in (subframe starting to let go and rear springs peaking through the trunk). :sad: ...I got into a LOT of trouble with that car! :yes:

So this is my first Camaro since 1991. I promise to take better care of this one. However, I am not promising to stay out of trouble. :cool:

I pick it up Saturday.

Phil

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats.
Also, as a fellow 69 Firebird Fan i cant wait to see yours when its done. Checked out your website and it looks/sounds like its going to be one hell of a car!!
Thanks! Now I just need to keep the '73 Camaro from distracting me too much from getting the 'Bird done! ;)

Phil

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What a bust! I went back with a trailer and cash to pick it up on Saturday. He wouldn't let me drive it the 1st time I looked at it last week. But I insisted on driving it Sat.

...It has more issues that I am willing to deal with at the moment (I just want to get in and drive for the summer). The whole front suspension needed to be replaced...it steers horrible. All the bushings are gone. It has brake issues, major oil pan leak (possible rotted pan), broken stud, broken speedo cable, starter has an issue, needs new headliner, carpet is trashed, and a few other issues. I know that most of these are minor. However, I also found a major crack in the rear frame rail (the rail is actually split right next to the tank) and the patch panel in the trunk is just welded over the rot where the rear springs attach. It is a very pretty car, but someone just put some nice "lipstick on the pig."

The guy selling it knew what it was and wasn't even upset when I backed out if it. Buyer beware.

So my search continues. I put an offer in on a '68 Camaro yeterday afternoon and I am looking at another '68 this morning as well as hitting a car show. :cool:

Phil

1 - 13 of 13 Posts