Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading up on putting my battery in the truck.
Do I (HAVE TOO) put the battery in a pastic box if I put it in the truck?
All the kits come with a box, & the photos of other guys cars always have a box.
Is this some kind of safety issue?
Thanks

·
19,749 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,586 Posts
I have been reading up on putting my battery in the truck.
Do I (HAVE TOO) put the battery in a pastic box if I put it in the truck?
All the kits come with a box, & the photos of other guys cars always have a box.
Is this some kind of safety issue?
Thanks
Like Doug said you will need to use either a box for the battery or install a metal firewall across the X brace area behind the upper back seat and in the speaker holes. Aluminum or steel can be used, of course the aluminum should be thicker for better protection.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
If you are not planning to pass NHRA tech a red top and a good hold down will be sufficient. If you plan to pass tech at a NHRA track you must have a rear firewall of .024 steel or .032 aluminum including package tray.
A box in lieu of firewall is acceptable with vent to outside of body. Box may not be used as hold down. Hold down must be fastened to frame or frame structure using minimum 2 each 3/8 bolts.

·
19,749 Posts
If you are not planning to pass NHRA tech a red top and a good hold down will be sufficient. If you plan to pass tech at a NHRA track you must have a rear firewall of .024 steel or .032 aluminum including package tray.
A box in lieu of firewall is acceptable with vent to outside of body. Box may not be used as hold down. Hold down must be fastened to frame or frame structure using minimum 2 each 3/8 bolts.
And a good cut-off switch too :yes:

cutoff.jpg

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess you mean trunk,, not truck.
Yes I meant TRUNK not truck.
Its just a “daily driver” convertible.
I am going to have to go back to school because Chase Bank sent my job to India via the internet. :(
I am looking at ways of beefing up security, because the car will be sitting out in the college parking lot for hours at a time.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Yes I meant TRUNK not truck.
Its just a “daily driver” convertible.
I am going to have to go back to school because Chase Bank sent my job to India via the internet. :(
I am looking at ways of beefing up security, because the car will be sitting out in the college parking lot for hours at a time.
Security and convertible don't mix well. I had a friend that locked the doors only to have the top cut open so a thief could steal the stereo.
As far as the battery this little switch works well to cut off the power without spending alot.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/10320/10002/-1

They sell them at most auto parts stores as well.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Ran two Optimas at one point. They were heavy but for street use, who cares? Then I was told by tech to install a shutoff switch. That worked for a little while until I got a different tech inspector thus a box went in.
Early setup;

Then the switch;

Then exiting to the rear. No new holes! Removing the bumper bolt did it;

No picture of the box right now but it's where the rear battery mount used to be. And the switch is now just being the box. (tight) The fume vent hose uses an old hole from the front battery mount. Also a solenoid is used back there so the main starter cables are never hot when they leave the truck. (thanks TC members) Did I say TRUCK?!
So,,,, why do you want to put your battery in the trunk? Have they figured out how to make convertibles handle?:D

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So,,,, why do you want to put your battery in the trunk? Have they figured out how to make convertibles handle?:D
Its not for performance purposes.

Its for beefing up security while leaving the car unattended (at night) in a college parking lot.

My 67 only has the original 327/275hp with a 3:55 12 posi & a TKO 600. I don’t mind the idea of losing some weight in front though, as the car also has a big ole’ original a/c compressor/system up front.
My 68 RS convertible was stolen out of a parking lot about 10 years ago.
Yes, I have/had full coverage. Insurance bought me my 67 to replace the 68.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts