Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first time I built some braided fuel line with Earl's fittings, it was pretty hard-going towards the end when I was threading the fittings on. I read an article a few months ago that mentioned oiling the end to make it easy to screw the fitting on. What kind of oil?

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4:10

·
10,142 Posts
Any oil will do. I use either Motor oil, or white grease on them.
Be sure to flush the hoses out good after you put the ends on, chunks of rubber from cutting the hose can clog up your fuel system.

The cheaper braded fuel hose like the Russell stuff can go bad and leak after about three years old. It will ususlly fail where it is bent the most sharply or get's the hottest.
With the braided hose it's hard to spot cracking of the rubber inside.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hadn't considered the lifespan aspect. What is a better quality hose?

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4:10

·
Registered
103 Posts
I tend to use the Aeroquip braided line.

Make REAL sure that the hose is intended for the fluid that is running through it.

I'd also like to reinterate what David Pozzi said -- "it's hard to spot cracking of the rubber inside"!! Some people think that the braiding will prevent any damage to the hose and don't worry about things like laying it across a header. That's bad news due to the fact you will not see the rubber inside fry.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference Section

·
10,142 Posts
I'm using the Aeroquip, best grade as I can find...
So far so good.
There are less sharp ends poking you when you run your hand over the brading, (ouch) compared to russel which is the lowest grade.
I havent tried some of the multi layer aero hose that is probably much better $tuff.

If not for looks, consider plain neoprene hose and change it often. Or look at the newer non steel brade hoses with AN ends. They are lighter too.
Whatever you do buy a bunch of it in bulk from Summit, you will get ripped locally for it buying by the foot.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts