Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how the brakes feel after a disc brake conversion. I am interested in finding out since I may eventually do a 4 wheel disc brake conversion on my car.

Also, I would like to know if the brakes are very touchy after converting to front disc. My car is very touchy with the brakes. I bought the car with the front discs converted but factory dums out back. The pedal cannot be used like a normal brake pedal in modern cars. If the pedal is pushed down past about an inch or so of travel the occupants lunge forward because the brakes grab very hard. I don't think this is normal. Is there a way to cure this? Would a proportioning valve help? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I would be willing to bet that the wrong master cylinder is installed in your car. You should be able to cure your problem by getting a master cylinder designed for a disc/drum set up. Your local parts counter should be able to take care of you.

The only other thing I would wonder about is what type of disc brakes were installed on the front of your car. Are they factory offerings, or after market? What type of calipers do you have? These things may play a part in which master cylinder you need.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The front disc brakes are most likely aftermarket. I do not know because the car came equipped with them. The discs are vented, slotted, and cross drilled which is why I think they are aftermarket. The calpiers are single piston. I am not exactly sure of the diameter of the disc but it fits under a 15 inch Corvette Rally wheel.

Does the size of the power booster matter? I will look into finding out which type of master cylinder I have. Is there a marking or something that will tell me that when I look at it? Thanks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hey 67 Camaro RS.....I just noticed you are here in the bay area, we are in Concord. Drive the car by my shop and I can help you out...I have the correct masters and prop. valves here on the shelf!!

Email me for address ect...

Matt

·
11,316 Posts
67, is there 2 holes in your brake pedal arm? There were in 69. Manual used the upper and power used the lower. I had the same problem. You also have to use a power master 1 1/8 inch, not a manual 1 inch one. You also have to check the plunger depth from the booster to the master, there were different lengths and you could be mismatched. Dave Pozzi's site has more info.

Luck, Kevin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts