Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
lifetime ....as long as the seal isnt broken..!!

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Believe it or not (I am not sure I believe, but...), moisture can supposedly get in through plastic bottles. From Castrol:

What is the shelf life for Castrol GT LMA Brake Fluid?
The shelf life for Castrol GT LMA Brake Fluid is 2 years for sealed bottles. Regardless of the storage conditions, moisture can get into the product via osmosis thru the plastic. No partially filled bottles should ever be used once open - use or discard.

More discussion:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1824342

·
10,147 Posts
Fluid will usually get darker when it get's old or absorbs moisture. There are test strips to check for water in brake fluid, but probably not worth the fuss for a partial can sitting in your garage.
David

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
ur good as long as it did not turn..

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Moisture in the fliud can cause 'boiling' and vapour in the lines wit brake failure
Also it reacts with the fliud to form Hydrocloric acid, which is very corrosive to lines and cylinder bores...causing pitting and failure.

It is brakes, either they are right or wrong...life or death.
The trouble is the above is not usually noticed untill the brakes are needed in an emergency, and they fail.

Brakes should have the fliud changed at least every 2 yrs

Back 40 +yrs ago, cars needed a lot more servicing...grease nipples alsorts of stuff, and tended to get it...then nipples , oils etc technology got better, and general servicing got slack and even not at all
These old cars, and their technology require regular service.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
What's the shelf life for brake fluid? In a sealed 1qt. plastic bottle up on a shelf?

If brake fluid can live in a vehicles system for years, is it safe to say the sealed container can also?
What dot rating are you referring to, HWJ?

capt

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Will do a bit of digging for you...have a chemist friend who I might tap for his opinion.

capt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts