Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spent the last half hour or so looking for images of the infamous front brake lines for 69 brakes on a 68. Here is the best I've found, from click or novaderrick, I don't recall.

http://www.camaros.net/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=005170

My problem is the hose geometery on the subframe. When I got the car, someone basically hand bent the lines which were only anchored on the upper A-arm. In other words - rigged. I've got the factory brackets ( which were originally mounted on the side of the subframe, but the hoses seem too long.

So I guess I need to figure out a different hose to use or custom design a new bracket that will set on top of the frame. To get the right geometry, the hard-line to hose union would have to be just inside the frame rail. That seems about right considering that position is almost in line with the upper A-arm fulcrum.

If I install the bracket in the factory position, the hose will have a radical bend in it which seems too stressful for the hose.

I could provide pictures, but have no where to post them. I could also provide measurements if it will help confirm the setup. Fabbing a bracket is not big deal, but I'd like to have as the factory intended if possible.

-dnult

·
15,370 Posts

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the bracket pictures. They did help some. BTW Joe, your 15 5/8" figure is very close to what I have including the clamp at ~ 6".

I have been confused by the conflicting information regarding hose mounting. Should the line be anchored to the upper A-arm, or the side of the subframe when using disk brakes? I've seen testimonies contrary to both and would like to know what works the best - least chance of damaging a hose. The A-arm mount sounds like they'd be more robust in terms of hose life. What do you think?

-dnult

·
15,370 Posts

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That second picture you posted was a little closer to what I had hoped to find. I wish someone had a top-down picture of the bracket and mounting arrangement with the inner fender removed.

-dnult

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I do!!

My car, recently rebuilt the whole front end.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Brian Lewis:
I do!!

My car, recently rebuilt the whole front end.
Awwww Some! Brian. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

-dnult

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Here is a shot of the hose that I am using, bought new hoses from Kragen for about $30/ea

Here is what EVERYTHING powdercoated looks like, this includes everything from the control arm/spindles to the dust shields and steering arms. Wonder how long I can keep it looking this good!

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exceeding Expectations Brian

-dnult

1 - 10 of 10 Posts