Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all well the last time I drove my car all was fine. I took out this morning and brakes go to floor dash brake lite comes on when pedal bottoms out? I have 4 wheel disc aftermarket kit on the rear and 69 style on front power break booster 8in and a vacuum pump (do to big cam) I check out the vac pump is working when I pop off the vac from the booster and comes on runs and goes off at about 20 in no leaks in my system I can see no fluid fluid is up is up in master cyl. I am not sure what it could be internal leak in master or booster but booster seems to hold vac.??? Any help would be great

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Re: Brake issue Break Docs Help!!

Are you saying there is NO fluid in the master cylinder?? If so, just fill it up and see if you have brakes. If no brakes, you may have to bleed system again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

There was fluid but no fluid leaking . I pulled off the master lid and rear fluid was low it was pulling in the lid liner rubber peace but then I found fluid on the other side of the rubber like the rubber has a hole in it some wear not sur if that would matter.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts

Its time to look for a leak, don't worry about the vacuum pump or booster yet. They can't cause the pedal to drop to the floor.
Follow the line off the rear reservoir and look for your leak.
If you cant find an external leak, pull the master cylinder away from the booster (not off, just crack it away) look for brake fluid between the master and booster.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts

brakes go to floor dash brake lite comes on when pedal bottoms out?
The dash light comes on because the 'sensore' that measures balance between the front and rear circuits is uneven
This could because of air in the lines or a leak.
Clamp off the rears test
Clamp off the front test
Then find by clamping which wheel

And check between MC and Booster like above.
Also drop a small plastic tube right down inside the booster, then gently suck on it(gentle cause brake fliud tastes like crap)...should have nothing in there

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I am going to check it after work tomorrow. The front brake hoses are about ten years old but all dry front hard lines are new sst when I did disc swap rear lines all newer yet line on frame is old but not factory . I think mast went will try it first slowly puling away from booster thanks again.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts

The front brake hoses are about ten years old but all dry
You may find that the inner layer of the hose has come away and blocking the lines.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all well just check it out pulled master away from booster and is dry as a bone. I am going to get a new gasket for top of master lid and vacuum bleed the brakes see how it is??

·
Registered
366 Posts
If you have no external leaks then you need a new master cylinder.

Dan E.
69 SS396 4spd. 4.10 posi. x66 coupe

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it was leaking from the lid on the master > it was a little damp but when I took lid off it made a small mess. So i ordered a new lid seal and am waiting for it to come in and i will be bleeding them soon to see what happens .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts