Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the brake light fuse in my 86 camaro keeps popping, it started a while ago where it popped every now and then but now as soon as i put the fuse in and turn the car on the dash lights go dim when i hit the breaks and then the fuse will pop...any sujestions?

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Use a test lamp to diagnose the short. Remove the fuse and connect the test lamp up to the fuse terminals so that the test lamp becomes the fuse. I suspect it will be burning brightly. Then remove the bulbs in the rear lenses. Chances are the test lamp will continue to burn brightly. Then wiggle wires and see if you can get it to go out or flicker. You'll probably have to remove the driver's door sill to inspect further. There also may be some connectors you can undo to narrow the problem down. Once you've found your short, the test lamp will go out.

Now if the test lamp does go out, figure out why by inspecting the wiring you're working with very closely. Don't presume that once the light goes out that the problem is fixed unless you find the short circuit and fix it. Otherwise it will get you again.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Make sure you installed your brake light bulbs correctly. I'm thinking first gen now, so bare with me, but the bulbs in my sockets can be inserted backwards against the key way with enough motivation from the installler...ahem...and the resulting problems can drive a person nanners for weeks until they finally pull the bulbs and install them correctly....ahem again...

Tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts