Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope some one can offer useful advice. The problem is brake light/turn signal on my 69. Up until recently all was well, however, recently the right rear brake light/turn signal, e-flasher has quit lighting. All running/signal lights work except the right rear. On the right rear the tail light functions and the top filament on the 1157 bulb lights. The right rear brake light/signs/flasher do not function and the lower filament does not light up. Checked for disconnected wires,poor grounds and obvious corrosion on connections, and damaged wires. All negative. Be advised thar I am severely electrically challenged so I could be wrong somewhere. Ruled out flasher unit under dash as all other signals work. Don,t know what the problem could be unless maybe a problem with the tail light socket. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Bert man I had a similar problem on my 68. It turned out to be a bad connection at the dash to rear harness connector. This connector is located just above the parking brake. All the wiring appeaered to be intact however once I disconnected the harnesses and bent each pin for a tighter fit the problem was fixed. You must also watch that the pins do not get pushed back after installation. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm assuming you checked for 12 volts on the right rear green wire. Using a meter or tester light you should have power to a good ground when you step on the brakes.
Check that first. If so:
Try providing a ground directly to the light. Take a test jumper wire and touch the light bulb base right where it meets the glass.
Touch the other end of the test jumper wire to a known good ground.
Step on the brakes and see if that makes the light come on. If so, chances are the socket is bad.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys thanks for the great replies. Sounds good. As soon as I get a break from work will try your suggestions. It's the small problems that always stump me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had pretty much the same problems on my 68. It turns out that the turn signal switch in the steering column was bad.Brake lights and turn signals are both connected at that switch.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ditto to Kool's reply. I also had the same problem with my 68. Flasher good, all bulbs good, but lights would go out on the left side only with the brakes pressed. Turn signal switch was the culprit.

Ozzie

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Yes you have to pull the wheel. Be careful with the horn wire/contacts. It has been several years since I pulled mine but if I remember correctly you will see the wire harness run down the inside of the steering column. After you disconnect it will slide out. I had the same problem just the other week although I did not check the turn signal, just noticed one brake light was out. Checked the bulb, socket, ground, power (by hitting the pedal) while my five year old was playing in the car...Trouble shot back to the steering column and was ready to pull the wheel to get to the turn switch and noticed she had turned the switch on! Live and learn. If I had just turn the key on...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts