Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:
I have a '68 convertible with power 4-wheel drums. The problem is that the pedal has a lot of "slack" in it. I can push it down with literally no resisitance a few inches before there is any "engagement" of the brakes. The pedal linkage just seems really sloppy. It seems to me there should be some type of adjustment at the brake pedal to "tighten things up"?? Anyone have any suggestions???
Thanks!!
D. Schribert
'68 Convertible

·
Registered
771 Posts
first you must be sure your master cyl is good, and all shoes and brakes are in good condition, and adjusted properly.
you can buy "line locks" which pinch shut each of the three hoses to help isolate the problem.
if you pinch all three shut, and the pedal is good, the problem is at the wheels. if the pedal is still sloppy, it usually will be a bad master cyl, or pushrod adjustment, but you should always check the condition and adjustment of the shoes and brakes anyway.
never look for an "easy fix" when it comes to your brakes. buy a service manual. when in doubt, take it to a qualified mechanic.

·
10,153 Posts
There is some adjustment for the rod on the pedal clevis. There must be a little play in the rod or the brakes will apply themselves while driving, or come on with a jerk.
Get a manual if at all possible. The factory "Helm" manual is best.
David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts