Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In rebuilding my Front End, I have learned allot about the Factory Modifications to the four piston Disks. Now that it is all apart, I am attempting to piece it all together. The Splash Shields have been modified to the point I had to look real close to see they were not supposed to be the way they were. Is there any advantage to having them cut down? Would it assist in cooling the disk? Should I just replace them and stop thinking about it too much? :) :eek:

As usual I welcome all information I can get.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Splash Shields??? I think you are refering to the dust shields that bolt to the spindles. Primary function, to stop brake dust from getting all over place. Minimal, if any brake cooling function.

I just redid my whole suspension, the shields were fine so I reused them, if yours are OK, use them, why pay for something you don't need.

If you ar looking for a brake cooling product, I saw drilled and slotted brake rotors on Ground Ups website for 99 bucks for the pair the other day. www.ss396.com.

Peter

PS: Is there any reason you are using house caulking on your front end?? (see pics) lol just kidding

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
I powder coated mine red, along with my caliper brackets. Should have the coil springs done this weekend.

Now that I've had some fun with my powder-coating setup, my wife is afraid she'll open the silverware drawer in the kitchen and everything will be Bright Red :)

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
I powder coated mine red, along with my caliper brackets. Should have the coil springs done this weekend.

Now that I've had some fun with my powder-coating setup, my wife is afraid she'll open the silverware drawer in the kitchen and everything will be Bright Red :)
I guess that would be better than opening the oven!

Jeff

·
Registered
479 Posts

Lmao, thanks for the idea that's a good one :D

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not worried about cooling, I just wondered why these would be cut down like they are. I have ordered new ones to replace what is left of these. I just wondered if there was any good reason to cut these down like this.

In rebuilding my Front End, I have learned allot about the Factory Modifications to the four piston Disks. Now that it is all apart, I am attempting to piece it all together. The Splash Shields have been modified to the point I had to look real close to see they were not supposed to be the way they were. Is there any advantage to having them cut down? Would it assist in cooling the disk? Should I just replace them and stop thinking about it too much? :) :eek:

As usual I welcome all information I can get.
I'm not worried about cooling, I just wondered why these would be cut down like they are. I have ordered new ones to replace what is left of these. I just wondered if there was any good reason to cut these down like this.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
It almost looks like they're from a different application...no idea why someone would do that, but we see all manner of "owner-engineering" done, some of it's good, some others, not so much ;)

They may have thought they had a real hot set-up that no one else had figured out yet ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts