Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The brake swap is coming along nicely - the rears are essentially done, and the fronts are just mocked up. I went with 93-97 Z/28 rears, and Corvette C5 fronts. This is a swap that I pieced together rather than buying a kit. I'll save approx $500 compared to the kit price, but after all of the running around, I can appreciate the value of a kit. Still haven't decided if I'm going to go with Hydroboost or vacuum assisted - will probably try vac assist and a 1" bore MC first. If I'm not happy with that, I'll go Hydroboost.

On the rears, I got calipers and brackets fron a wrecking yard. 2 RH calipers and brackets, rebuilt the calipers. E-brake cables from Touring Classics. Rotors are Car Quest Premium. Pads are Raybestos semi-metallic premium. Thanks to Andrew(X33D80) for all of the advice on the rears!

On the fronts, I used Speed Tech brackets, and found some used calipers on the Corvette Forum and went through them as well. Rotors are Napa US made super premium, pads are Delco Dura Stop semi metallic. Hubs are from JimM. (Thanks Jim!)

Hoses front and rear are stainless braided from www.kore3.com.

Wheels are American CL205's. 17 x 8 front, 4.75 BS, with 235/45/17. Rears are 275/40/17 0n 17 x 9.5 with 5.5 BS. Tires are Bridgestone Potenza RE750.

It's really been a fun project. I'll report back in this thread how well they work. BPOS out.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far I'm right at $1K for the brakes. Still need to buy MC. Compared to a BAER kit, which is virtually the same thing, I'm light years ahead. Compared to the very reasonable Touring Classics kit, I'm a few hundred ahead. I think the Touring Classics kit is an excellent value, considering they have done all of the research, and everything is delivered to your front door. I have many hours in research and driving around town for parts, but as I said, it's been fun and I've learned a lot.

I could have saved money here and there - a significant amount on the rotors, re-using some old hardware, and I could have made the stock e-cables that I got with the rear rotors and brackets work.

And I could have spent more - again on drilled/slotted rotors (other than bling, not worth much), could have bought rebuilt calipers, etc. By the time you do that, I think the kits are cheaper.

PS I already have a nice booster on the car.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well - the verdict is in. I wound up just going with hydroboost and using the stock 1 1/8" bore disc/drum MC. Paul at Hydratech recommended I keep it. Still under $2K for the brakes, including the hydroboost. I spent a fair amount of time monkeying around with ride height and on top of that I work slowly. Lotsa beer breaks.

Took the car out for its first real drive of the season yesterday, to my Dad's house about 20 miles away.

The brakes perform beyond my expectations. I mean holy freakin' crap these things are good. Astoundingly good. I don't know whether to credit the PBR calipers or the Hydroboost, or the combination of the system - But I'm tellin' ya - these things are amazing.

Oh, and the car drives like a dream with all of the added caster. (SC&C Street Comp Stage 2+ as well as Hotchkis /tvs - rear bar)) Have yet to take it on a twisty road, but I expect good things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.