Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock booster. I was thinking of going to a smaller one. Will a smaller aftermarket one offer as much vacuum as the old school large one???

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I have a stock booster. I was thinking of going to a smaller one. Will a smaller aftermarket one offer as much vacuum as the old school large one???
Great question, i was going to do the same thing and wondered if it's good or bad to go smaller ? I would make more room and look nicer but performance matters most, especially since i have disk brakes in the front.

·
Vendor
974 Posts
Hey guys it doesn't matter which booster isze you choose, they all "Require" The same amount of Vacuum....The smaller the diameter the less assist you get...

We have sold all sizes for years and the guys that get the 7" dual seem to think there is almost ZERO assist from them.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, if I get a smaller booster, it will feel like I have manual brakes instead of power assisted? Why go smaller? is it just for looks?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Hey guys it doesn't matter which booster isze you choose, they all "Require" The same amount of Vacuum....The smaller the diameter the less assist you get...

We have sold all sizes for years and the guys that get the 7" dual seem to think there is almost ZERO assist from them.
I have never had to worry about this issue, even so the question has abstractly crossed my mind...

If there is less assit from the smaller booster, surely that could be compensated with changing the Dia of the MC bore
Yes I have used several sized bores over the yrs, with the factory booster...
Yes there is a difference, a very marginal difference where the larger bore has less pedel movement, requiring slightly more (marginal) effort.

So in therory...I say therory cause I have personally not changed booster size, if going to a smaller booster changing to the smaller bore mc would counter the effort but increase the pedal movement slightly.

·
Vendor
974 Posts
We always use the 1 1/8" with 9" or larger boosters and 1" with 8" dual and small to help compensate but like you said it increases pedal travel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts