Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The switch near the E brake goes up and down if pushed but doesn't seem to connect to anything. Should it be hitting the E brake arm when E brake activated. Light works but won't go out.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
There should be a tab mounted to the side of the e-brake that contacts the switch. For '68, AIM UPC 12, sheet B9. Here is a picture of mine:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that's it. It seemed like an alignment problem or a missing piece.
I'll have to get that piece. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
There was a thread a yr or so ago discussing that tab...From rem ....was unalvalable?? pick one up from a wrecking yard??? or make one???
Meaning they won't sell them individually and you have to buy an entire e-brake pedal? I'm missing that switch too, so just curious.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Not sure if you really mean the switch. You can buy the switch, I'm pretty sure. It's the metal piece that pushes the plunger on the switch that we are saying ins't available. You can try contacting the manufacturer of the brake pedal assembly and ask. I have tried that before for other things (gauge indicator lense) and had no luck...

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Not sure if you really mean the switch. You can buy the switch, I'm pretty sure. It's the metal piece that pushes the plunger on the switch that we are saying ins't available. You can try contacting the manufacturer of the brake pedal assembly and ask. I have tried that before for other things (gauge indicator lense) and had no luck...
Yeah, sorry, it's that metal piece and plunger that I'm missing, too. Bummer.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
There you go they are avaioble that last link in post above looks more like my orginal.
Thats odd, because the clip in the first link looks more like the one in the picture in post #2.

How can there be two completely different clips, and how does the last one attach?

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
I stuck my head up under there. Not easy since my column is loose and being supported, blocking off most of that area... It does seem to look more like the first link. It looks like the cable itself holds the large piece in place. The clip can be seen in my picture. It's rust colored and clipped near the cable end. Not sure what it does, exactly... It might keep the cable/tab in place if there is any slack.?.?

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
Just been out to check (again) which clip I have..Rem this is the orginal factory setup
Yep the 2nd clip
it is a bitch to get in..the end of the cable goes thru it and has a spring clip to hold it in place.
looking at the top assembly pic..it maybe just the angle the pic is taken
That is not an orginal factory switch..the orginal was white not black.
The E brake cable is directly under the switch and the tag part hangs out the top edge of the bracket

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Kind of confusing... I guess I'll learn more about it when I take it all out for paint.

The switch was in there when I bought the car in '83. I do see that all the vendors sell white ones. I was wondering about it... Did you see a discussion on it's color somewhere?

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
Did you see a discussion on it's color somewhere?
No dont really understand the question
Im going on that my switch is the orginal factory....and that one looks a bit different...hard to tell from the pic and not having them side by side.
The switch bracket looks orginal.

In that top pic it looks like the little spring clip is missing....If the E Brake is adjusted correct everything works fine without it...but if the E brake streches has a bit od slack in it it is possible for the tag peice to fall out, or even ratlle for a while before falling out.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
So, you are the original owner of your car? Cool! I'm not. I am in no way defending mine as original. For all I know, the entire ebrake is out of a Firebird... I mean, my seats are... But I never changed it and it was only 15 years old in '83. Who knows. I could do a search on here or CRG to see if the topic has come up before. I was just wondering if you had already been through the discussion. Oh well, if I EVER try to do a concours restoration on my not original car AND find the original drivetrain, I'll have to know these answers. Until then, I'll just drive it... ;-)

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
I was only pionting out which was orginal and not...hell its better to fit orginal parts, not because of orginality but they fit and work better, and in a few yrs time come to do work/maintance dont have to screw around figuring out what is what...which seems to be a bit of the case now.
No im not the orgibal owner, Im the 3rd owner from new, the 1st guy imported it to NZ in 1972, the next guy brought it shortly after that , and I knew him before he died..lived about 1 mile way as the crow flys.
No my car is not orginal..I have changed a lot of stuff and replaced tie rod ends etc
BUT I have all the orginal stuff I have changed or replaced stored away for reference.
Mkes life easy...need a new engine mount or trans mount I can put what is on the shelf side by side with the orginal part.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts