Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My builder installed a factory GM brake booster, SSBC Master cylinder and Aero Space 4 wheel disc system. My son finally got to drive the car to school for the first time and on the way he noticed that the car would slow down extremely fast when he removed his foot from the accelerator. Long story short, road side I had to unbolt the master cylinder from the booster to remove the pressure from the calipers. The rotors were a shade of blue when I got to him. It appears that the plunger of the master cylinder is being pushed in while tightening the master cylinder to the booster. We shortened the rod that comes through the booster without success. It almost seems that the center of the booster where the rod passes through is the part that is depressing the plunger in the Master cylinder. I've contacted SSBC and they didn't tell me what I wanted to hear. "We offer no Master cylinder that is designed as a direct bolt on replacement for the facory master cylinder. SSBC master cylinders are only to be used with SSBC brake boosters utilizing the adjustable pushrods"
Anybody had this one before?
It looks like my builder did it again.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Sorry to hear that, SSBC's web site does not seem to know that you can't use the factory booster, in fact it says, "GM mount and plain cap. For vehicles with O.E. power disc brakes."
Sounds to me like they are made to use the OE booster...
Very conflicting...

Well, it might be time to upgrade again, to a dual diaphragm booster with the adjustable rod. Or just any booster with an adjustable rod.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Did you adjust the pushrod clevis at the brake pedal inside the car?

If the car was not power brake equipped before, the booster rod that connects to the brake pedal has to be moved down about an inch or so and adjusted correctly.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, we tried a number of things without sucess. I've sent the master cylinder back to SSBC for testing and evaluation. I've ordered the 9 inch $130.00 brake booster they say is the only one they designed there master cylinder to work on. I'd likely go a different route on this deal if this were a show car. But I elected to go go 4 wheel disc because I was building a car that son's driving as a daily driver. and I wanted him safe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts