Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've finally run into a problem I don't have a solution for. Just redid the brakes on Fawn's 73 RS, and the rear brakes are locking up. Drums were turned, new shoes installed. I replaced the wheel cylinders today (the WERE bad), but the rears are still locking up. I can open up a bleeder valve in the rear and relieve the line pressure, releasing the brakes...this leads me to conclude that it is a hydraulic issue. Here's the funny thing though: they don't lock up if you pump the brakes with the engine off; they only do it if the power booster is operating and applying the pressure. Master cylinder is a recently installed reman unit from Pep Boys. HELLLLP!!!! I need to get this fixed so I can pull my 68 in the garage and pull the motor and tranny!

------------------
1976 Type LT Restification (in progress)

1968 2 door sport coupe...wife's car!

·
Registered
257 Posts
funny, I had the same problem in my car before the brake went, but they weren't power. It probably has to do with the valves in master cylinder, if you can, take a look and see if anything is bent or loose and would be throwing off the system.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The first thing I would check is the rod in the booster, most of them are adjustable. When the brakes are locked up loosen both nuts on the master cylinder, if this releases the brakes the rod is to long.

My guess though is, because the car has been setting for a while is the porpotioning,(ok I can't spell that one) but it's the valve by the master cyl that all the lines hook to.

Find the line going to the rear, get the brakes locked up and loosen the rear line at the valve, if the don't release go back to the next fitting, the rubber hose at the diff, loosen it, if that don't release them it's the rubber hose, because you said they released at the bleeder.

The reason you have to start it to lock them up is because the restriction won't let fluid go to the rear until the power booster helps force the fluid through.

Have Fun
Larry

·
Registered
89 Posts
76Maro, maybe I'll hold off on asking you to do mine...hehehe. Just kidding bro, I wish I had some info for ya, but I'm no expert with drums, have worked on them several times, but not real knowledgable in troubleshooting.

I've never been over there, but isn't there a chevelles.net also? If so, maybe post the problem over there as well, quicker response maybe.

Good luck bro.....Mike

·
Registered
820 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
It could be the adjustment of the pushrod in the booster, the incorrect M/C or the rubber hose at the rear and it is www.chevelles.com

------------------
Leo Paugh
MCC #017
www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm
There are no strangers here, only friends you haven't met.

[This message has been edited by chev64 (edited 11-30-2000).]

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
When I got my 4 wheel disc's together, it did this and the solution was shortening the push rod to the master Cyl. They have grooves on them to indicate their length and various lengths are available.

TTFN
Mat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts