Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 91 RS v-6 my wheels lock up under some normal breaking conditions especicaly when road is wet. I changed the pads then changed the cappliers. It helped but it is still not fixed. The tires are new General tries. So it is not them. The car also sometimes pulls to one side when stoping. Could it be the rotors or do I need to upgrade to a 4 wheel disk brake sys? Thanks for any help. Nick

·
10,144 Posts
Is it the front brakes locking?
Is your car lowered?

What is the distance between the rubber bump stop on the lower A frame and the upper frame where it hits?
Who made the pads?
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
If you have drums on the back you may have a axle seal or a wheel cylinder leaking. This will cause the back brakes to lock under light brake pressure.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 pro street
427/4spd/9"

·
Registered
567 Posts
LOL, reminds me of a "friend". He had squeeky disk brakes. Well, don't you know, WD-40 is great for sqeaks! Need I say more?

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed (Soon to be LT1)
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
"Speed KILLS, so drive a FORD and live forever!"
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the front brakes are locking, I think they are just generic metallic pads that are on there, I also replaced the hoses when I changed the calpier. I could not get under the car to measure the distance but it should be just the factory distance between the upper and lower bump stops, and no it has not been lowered. I just bought a set of Raybestos semi-metalic pads that I am going to try.

·
10,144 Posts
I wouldn't put the Raybestos pads on.
Unless someone here is having good luck with them.
I know I tried them on an 84 Chevy pickup truck and took them off, they wouldn't stop the truck!

I'd get either GM pads, or take a look at the Performance Friction carbon metallic pads.
I believe they have two kinds. A standard and a premium.
I'm not shure which would be best for your use. If it was me, I'd get the premium for high heat hard braking use.
Maybe they have a web site.
Most parts houses can get them.

I've owned two third gen Camaros, an 85 Z/28 and an 89 IROC. I ran them in autocross in stock class. They bottom out on the bump stops VERY EASILY.
I'd hit the brakes and the car would start to pull down very well, then- one wheel would lock up.
It takes a split second from the time you first start braking to the point where the wheels start to lock because it takes time for the suspension to compress enough to bottom out on the bump stop.

The later bump stops have a METAL piece inside them and only are rubber for the first half inch of compression.

These cars could brake MUCH BETTER if they had more suspension travel.
By the rules, I couldn't modify the car to see how it could be fixed.
The 89 IROC only had about a half inch between the bump stop and frame, that's NOT ENOUGH.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 12-22-2000).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts