Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Camaro Convertible SS/RS (non-matching)
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, it is 1:30 am in Texas and I am posting questions for morning. So, there are multiple questions.
We replaced all rear shoes, springs, wheel cylinders and master cylinder. So:
1) when we pump brakes, the dash lights illuminate (speedo / tach lights). What would cause the lights to go when the brake is pressed?
2) We have the new master cylinder on, filled with fluid. We pumped the brakes 100 times and bubbles stop coming out of MC. We cracked bleeder valve on passenger rear and get no fluid. We have sealed everything and pumped and pumped and get nothing. So, what is process of cleaning air out? I get no peddle resistance anywhere. Could my rear brake lines be clogged? The "T" fittings on the pumpkin be jacked up?

My buddy says he has never had one do this, any suggestions as how to clean out air or whatever is going on?

Thanks
John

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
You say you sealed the system. I believe you have to get a squirt of brake fluid at the rear right, then rear left, then front right, and then front left to get all the air out.

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
did you bench bleed the master cylinder?
X2 on the bench bleeding.

I have a reverse bleeder here you can borrow if you can’t get it bled after bench bleeding the master. You could always resort to gravity bleeding it too.

Don

·
Super Moderator
32,300 Posts
Open bleeder, press down on pedal and hold, close bleeder, release pedal.
Repeat as needed for bleeding.
Continue to all wheels as suggested.

·
19,759 Posts
Always a pita when changing a master cylinder.

Bench bleed the MC first.
Sometimes it takes a while to bleed the system.
Reverse bleeding does work faster when you replace a MC and no air in the system, but sounds like air is in and now will take a bit to get it out.
Also, start at the farthest point bleeding and work closer as the air is out.

Now, for the lights lighting up, sounds like a short or bad ground.

·
13,741 Posts
Are you bleeding correct an per Everett?

You can't just pump and pump. You have to open bleeder, push to floor, close bleeder, pedal up and repeat.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Been doing this on motorcycles for years. Havent tried it on a car yet but figure im gonna when the camaro is ready. Short version. Clear plastic tube forced over bleeder nub run up higher than the master cylinder. Pump til full. Close bleeder after a beer or two. How else to submerge a brake system? Amazing how bubbles work their way out even on systems that are all uphill.

·
Premium Member
67 Camaro Convertible SS/RS (non-matching)
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He mentioned bench bleeding, but at 1am and a few beers.... MC didn't have a bleed kit, so we cracked the lines and pumped. He is supposed to bring a vacuum over and hit it again

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
If you didn’t bench bleed the master you should remove it and do it.....

Don

·
Registered
37 Posts
I know when my right rear brake line cracked they used a power bleeder and still had trouble getting the air out. It took several tries.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts