Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wanted to ask this question but am concerned about mentioning specific brand names for fear of offending a particular company or person so I'm going to try and ask this question as best as I can.

I have a brand name intake manifold, fuel filter and carb on my Camaro and am wanting to purchase a water pump from the same company. My question is what makes a brand name water pump so much better than the one I can get from Autozone for $80.

I realize the pumps from Autozone are rebuilt but is there really that much difference in performance and reliability? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
One is probably made in China and the other in the US or Canada.
I opted to have mine rebuilt cause a new one would not fit the alternator bracket unless a spacer is used and a rebuilt one from the store would be a crap shoot whether you got a new or old casting.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Both myself and friends have used rebuilts on various different engines and have had no problems.
My .02

·
Registered
665 Posts
Just get a Stewart and call it good.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
I installed the Summit brand performance water pump and it has performed excellent on my BBC. It is stock in appearance with upgraded internals. I sprayed it Chevy Orange and it looks great. Highly recommend.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im looking at the Edelbrock 8810 water pump at around $190. Other than the body being aluminum...can this pump really keep the engine that much cooler in the summer to justify the additional expense?

·
Registered
7,795 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Im looking at the Edelbrock 8810 water pump at around $190. Other than the body being aluminum...can this pump really keep the engine that much cooler in the summer to justify the additional expense?
Not really. :noway:

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So what makes the Stewart pump so much better? What differences would I notice if I installed one?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Bigger bearing, higher flow at low speed. Cast impeller. It's a quality piece.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
One is probably made in China and the other in the US or Canada.
I opted to have mine rebuilt cause a new one would not fit the alternator bracket unless a spacer is used and a rebuilt one from the store would be a crap shoot whether you got a new or old casting.
Most all you will find are now made in China, unless it specifically says otherwise. Brand name or otherwise, most are likely made in China. Even rebuilts are getting hard to find. It is cheaper to have new pumps built than it is to transport cores around the country and then find labor that is capable of identifying and rebuilding all the different pumps you would have to deal with.

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
Most all you will find are now made in China, unless it specifically says otherwise. Brand name or otherwise, most are likely made in China. Even rebuilts are getting hard to find. It is cheaper to have new pumps built than it is to transport cores around the country and then find labor that is capable of identifying and rebuilding all the different pumps you would have to deal with.
Even the ones that say Made in the US are probably primarily made in China. They're really just assembled here. Thanks to NAFTA and the EPA we don't have many foundries left here and those we do have are very, very expensive.

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
My buddy just put a new edelbrock on his 502 and it started dripping out of the weep hole almost instantly. Because he had it more than 90 days no warranty. Boo. Moving to Stewart now.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I installed a Stewart Stage 2 w/correct thermostat. Great pump...car runs a little cooler at low speed/idle, but no difference from stock at highway speed.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
The advantage of Autozone or another retail lifetime auto parts chain store is that you can easily get a replacement part where you bought it or on the road ... ;)

I used to buy NAPA lifetime parts but found a lot of independent dealers do not carry the lifetime line ... :sad:

I replied to this thread because Friday afternoon was spent replacing a new lifetime water pump in the Autozone parking lot in Blue Springs, MO ...

A new water pump lasts me about 9 months - a new lifetime starter or alternator lasts about a year ...

It really does not matter where you buy parts today - most are made by a few companies & packaged for multiple retailers ... ;)

Lucky for me I can afford my labor rate for auto repair ... :thumbsup:

Jim

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
why such short life?
I have a 77 blazer with an original 400 engine that has only seen 1 water pump and 3 starters in its 2000K mile life

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Agreed on the short life...I have run part store pumps in the past--had one in the camaro as my daily driver for 7 years, and 72K miles wihtout ever having an issue...

On my recent rebuild, I went with a Summit brancd pump...as someone else said, stock exterior with higher flow internals...coming up on two years now with no issues (hopefully this isn't a jinx :) )

1 - 20 of 29 Posts