Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well boys, I found out something the other day that I thought you all should know . First I want to say that I am not promoting or telling anyone what to do or use. I have always been a proponent of F/T cams and a user of zddp oils . I have installed many cams in 40 years of machine work . I have also installed some XE cams with no problem ever. that aside last week I read the post by 540 RAT on inferior break in oils . I read it several times and then I remembered that Jakes Performance had a problem with a Howard's cam going south . As I recall he had both the cam and lifters tested and the results showed that they were plenty hard. Now we all know that Jake knows how to set up and break-in a cam he is an expert .I am also sure he used the proper oil that was recommended so why the failure . I figure it had to be the oil . Here is what I learned after reading all the oil debates everywhere including 540 RAT I decided to call Valvoline and talk to an oil engineer. This is not the first time, I have called many oil companies through the years and asked the same questions never getting a straight answer. This time I did I specifically asked if the VR-110 w 30 conventional oil in the SILVER BOTTLE had enough zddp and film strength to support a moderate F/T cam lifters and springs .HE SAID IT DID. I then asked specifically if the 4 oz bottle of break-in additive provided by the cam company was needed. He SAID IT WAS NOT NECESSARY . HE also said that it could be used after the break-in for daily use. This was the first time that anyone said firmly without a doubt yes you can use this and no additive is needed for break in and afterwards. This also coincides with what 540 RAT said about break in film strength and the zddp level . DOUG G said he has used it for 20 years with no problem. I have used SWEPCO 15w40 DYMONYL for years and I am switching over to VR-!. One more thing years ago in the TRW and SEALED POWER lifter boxes there was a note that said use a high quality SE / SF detergent oil . there was no mention of additive to be added. Sorry for the lengthy post. Alex

·
19,907 Posts
I started with the VR1 as was suggested by the builder, a well known guy in the day (Paul Hogge).
I still use it ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey Alex,
Well, I am in the same school of thinking after reading about all the cam/lifter failures. The Valvoline VR1-10w-30 has one of the highest film strengths of all the oils 540 Rat has tested (conventional) and enough sacrificial zddp as well. Seems I have to order it in, as the stores don't really have it on the shelves though. At least 540 Rat has developed a test that can rank the oils by strength and that seems to be more than the oil companies themselves have done or at least want to tell you about. I know that folks have personal preferences when it comes to oils and what has worked for them in the past and change is hard. At least more light has been shed on this topic and information is what it's all about.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I use vr1 20-50 in my procharged 496. Why? Because the engine builder told me too. I don't put enough miles a year to warrant a change so I give it a change once a year anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts