Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I have a 68 Camaro. I removed the backup lights to run dual red lights in place. I wired in the additional duel wire sockets to the existing harness and started to plug in the lights into the tail light housings. All was good except the last light when I plugged it into the housing the bulb burns really bright as if the brakes were applied. I removed the plug from the housing and grounded the metal tab of the socket to the housing and sure enough you can see the bulb get really bright while the rest look normal? Is this a grounding issue? Are the tail light housings suppose to be grounded to the body?

Thanks Jim..:confused:

·
Super Moderator
32,533 Posts
Bulb in backwards in the socket?
Or socket wired wrong.
Since you have added more 'load' to the flasher, the standard duty 512 should be changed for a heavy duty, 552.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Everett.. I changed the flasher to 552 LL long life. Much bigger than the original.. I bought new bulbs too and ensured the short and long pins were aligned correctly in the sockets. I will recheck the wiring, but the battery died and recharging now so please give a few hours to double check wiring...

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everett,
I found the problem. I noticed when all the lights were laid out on the truck floor as I plugged in each socket one at a time all the other 3 lights would light up on the floor of the trunk. Except for one socket? Brand new too? I found a replacement used one in my drawer and now all good.

Must have been a defective socket to begin with.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks god for Chinese products!! Otherwise I would having nothing else to do on my day off. LOL Thanks Again :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts