Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys - I was installing a new front power disc brake conversion kit on my 1968 camaro. Converting from manual drum brakes. One of the banjo bolts - right side - broke off as I was tightening it. There's about 1/2" sticking out of the caliper. How can I get the bolt out? Am I just going to have to get a new caliper? Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Easy out, and since it’s stinking out a bit maybe some niddle nose visegrips to turn at the same time as you turn the easy out.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,437 Posts
I wonder what caused it to break, overtightening or cross threaded ? If it's overtightening, it may screw out fairly easy using a vice grips or pliers. If not, I'd weld a nut on to the bolt remnant, then you can use a wrench or socket to screw it out. ez outs are ok if not much torque is applied, but have seen them break too many times, causing more problems, so beware !

Wow, good timing. Original post at 7:57, first reply at 8:57, second reply at 9:57.....:)

·
13,722 Posts
If it’s sticking out 1/2” should be easy to grab and unscrew with visegrips

Reactions: Troutslayer

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So there are some threads still sticking out. If I cross-threaded am I screwed, in terms of trying to use the caliper if I get the banjo bolt out?

·
13,722 Posts
Get the old piece out and run a tap to clean up the threads. Good chance you’ll be ok

Reactions: Troutslayer

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another question if anyone knows -

Guys - need a bit of help. How in the heck do you remove the clevis pin from the brake pedal. I removed the clip and have the pin loose, but there's a metal brace in the way and there's no place for the clevis pin to drop out. This is an automatic transmission vehicle. I've thought about just cutting the pin as my new power disc brake conversion kit has a new pin. THANKS!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The hole in the brace is on the left side of the pedal. However my clevis pin is installed with the head of the pin on the right and there's no hole on the right side. Don't see how it was installed or how to get it out. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Probably have to remove the pedal assembly or brace, can’t remember what’s easier then put it in from the other side.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Rick. Lower hole won't matter as it's under the brace. I may just cut off the head of it too, if that's easier than taking the pedal assembly off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts