Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1967 Camaro SS-RS convertible family owned since new that required extensive repair/replace including all wiring, brake & fuel lines (Stainless) master cylinder, booster and most other brake parts, this is a drum brake car I have driven this car (cautiously) maybe 600 miles mostly secondary roads. The brakes are not what they should be. The left front wheel grabs aggressively but does become less aggressive after a mile or so if I drag them a bit. The left front brakes appear normal, the right doesn't appear as being used as much as the left but have nearly warn in. The adjusters are new and appear to work and I have repeatedly driven forwards and back applying the brakes and the drums appear to be adjusted correctly. The system has silicon fluid and bled ok from all cylinders. I do notice that occasionally the Brake warning light will come on but goes back off when releasing the brake pedal.
I don't know what to check further. This is just a Sunday driver that I occasionally attend shows with, I would appreciate any thoughtful suggestions. I just want it to be as safe as used to be. Phil

·
13,722 Posts
Did you replace the wheel cylinders?

I’m not sure but usually silicon fluid is not recommended on these brake systems.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,043 Posts
You could have a few things going on. First if you didn't upgrade the master cylinder and all wheel cylinders to work with silicon brake fluid, get it out of there. Next check the front brake adjustment side to side to be sure there is equal drag. Same with the rears. I generally adjust so you can spin the wheel 1 to 1-1/2 turns using a hard shove with both hands. That's kind of hard to explain but you don't want them so tight they won't turn by hand and you don't want them so loose they free wheel.

·
Premium Member
3,425 Posts
It does sound like you have a simple adjustment issue. I adjust the brake shoe to the drum where it just drags as you spin it. Backing and hitting the brakes has never worked for me. DOT 5 is fine to use if all the parts are new. Sounds like you have 50% new. The brake hoses and wheel cylinders should be changed at this point just because its the safe thing to do. Those are cheap parts that will make your vehicle safer for everyone on the road. Many will poo poo the DOT5 fluid, but I have been using it in race cars and muscle cars for years. Never had a failure. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Broke brakes poster, unable to reply to responders? All new componets used, have installed lots of brake componets over many years just not so much lately (79 yrs old). Adjustments done correctly. May be a disc brake master cylinder installed? Will try to explain line routing and all componets in system later. Thanks.. Phil

·
13,722 Posts
Maybe star adjuster installed backwards.

·
Registered
622 Posts
A lot of good suggestions here. Silicon? No way!

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
I have used the DOT 5 since I swapped to four wheel disc with no problems. Master, calipers and hoses were all new.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The star wheels appear to be right though I am not 100% sure. Regardless I manually adjust the brakes to be as tight as possible without binding up when hot and the left front still skids immediately on attempting to brake? Thanks.. Phil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts