Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took off my original window washer motor. As bad luck would have it two out of three bolts twisted right off and now I'm stuck.

I'm sure this has happened to numerous people. Could you share some strategies on how how to get the broken stud out of the firewall holes? I tried drilling a small bit down the middle of the broken stud and I'm not making a dent. Maybe my drill isn't strong enough. It's a 14 volt. Ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Tony,
Can you get the wheel of a dermel tool on the bolt and slot it ? If so, then use a screwdriver and screw it right out :)

Kev

·
Registered
130 Posts
Tony,
If you already removed the washer motor, try using an "easy out" tool. They sell them at Home Depot. Don't let the name fool you. It doesn't come out that easy, it will be a slow process, but it should work. good luck.....

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I just screwed it up more. I tried doing a a drill bit before reading these replies. Now I have two broken bits and a hole started at an angle that looks like you know what now. It's a good thing the motor will cover the hole.

I haven't heard of a dermel or easy out tool. I'll try looking in a bit. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
First of all you need to get back as close to center of the broken stud as you can. Use a good quality sharp center punch and try and get a spot punched as close to center to whatever you drilled so far. Start with a sharp small drill bit with cutting oil and make your first hole. Then go to a larger size but not too big as to contact the threads. Once this is done, as was suggested again use a good quality E-Z out and try work the stud out. If you are lucky enough to be centered, you drill the hole just under the bolt size and re-tap the hole.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
First of all you need to get back as close to center of the broken stud as you can. Use a good quality sharp center punch and try and get a spot punched as close to center to whatever you drilled so far. Start with a sharp small drill bit with cutting oil and make your first hole. Then go to a larger size but not too big as to contact the threads. Once this is done, as was suggested again use a good quality E-Z out and try work the stud out. If you are lucky enough to be centered, you drill the hole just under the bolt size and re-tap the hole.
I agree with Frank. I had the same thing happen to me with the bottom bolt on the wiper motor. Use a center punch and make an indentation in the middle of the stud so that way it could be drilled right down the middle. Once you make a hole through the stud, use a bigger drill bit each time until the hole is big enough to be tapped.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
When a bolt siezes up, it's usually from gawling where pieces of the threads, rust and other junk snow-ball up and jamb it. As a result, if you continue to unscrew it, the ball gets bigger and more stuck. Removing them from the other side of the panel is a good idea in part because you'll be turning the screw the other way. Whenever removing rusty hardware, it's a good idea to rock it back and forth to break up the crud and preven the problem you're having. In fact, when you finally get access to this screw be sure to rock it back and forth to prevent gawling it up in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
406 Posts
the strength of your drill isn't likley the issue, and drilling them out may be difficult to impossible considering the bolt size and area you have to work in. as I recall , those bolts are kinda small, 3/8 head ? I dont consider an easy out tool a viable option. getting to the bolts from the inside of the firewall may be possible, providing they are not too buggered up. if so, maybe you can spin them through from the back side with vise grips.
if not....

this is what I would do, assuming you have access to a good air compressor.
get a right angle die grinder and grind the bolts off flush.then get a good high speed steel bit. when I say "good" I mean from snap-on or matco. I have used these to grind out broken bolts in cars, they will even punch a hole in a frame pretty quickly. their not the typical junk you get at the hardware store for 5-10 bucks. these are about $25 a pop, they are the real deal and will go through a grade 8 bolt in short order. get one small enough to cut the inside of the bolt out and weaken it. just be careful and take your time, dont get into the threads in the firewall. let the tool do the work. with a little patience this should be fairly easy to do.

p.s.
make sure you wear eye protection and cover up the general area your working in, small metal shavings will be everywhere.

good luck :thumbsup:

Maurice

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Remove the wiper arms and the cowl vent panel and remove the bolts from the back side; there will be enough protruding through the weld nuts to get ahold of with pliers.

:beers:

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
And if you do happen to screw up the threads a little, don't worry about it. You can re-thread using a Heli-coil. Any Napa store should be able to supply this for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts