Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guy's,
Well it seems that my wiper switch has been pushed in 1 too many times. Not only did it pop out of it's place, it also broke all 3 of the "holders" that the small screws-screw into.
Any idea on how to fix this problem?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
On a 69, you need some epoxy and several short pieces of bundy-flex tubing for a reinforcements. It worked for me.
Edit: I just remembered that I wrapped some thin wire around the post before I put the epoxy on as an added reinforcement. Wire, epoxy, and then the tubing.

-Mark.

[ 09-30-2003, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: stingr69 ]

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh shniky,
Sorry guy's...It's a 69 Camaro.
Hey stingr69...Kinda confused....Dont know what bundy-flex is

Last time I stuck my head under the dash, the post's were split in half on 1 and the others were just broken/missing.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
523 Posts
They make a thing called a standoff. It's a threaded sleeve that comes in different lengths and diameters. Some are hex shaped but will serve the same purpose. Guessing that one threaded with 6/32 threads or 8/32 threads on the inside would work. These can be bonded to the dash with JB Weld. The trick is to get them to stay where you want them until the epoxy drys.
Even bonding some nuts might work. There's 2 or 3 threads inside of those. Should be enough to catch the screw. Again the trick is to hold them in place until things dry.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Superman,
Bundyflex is a trade name for steel tubing used for brake lines or fuel lines. You can get it at the auto parts place or hardware store for about a buck a foot or so. The split post is perfect for this type of repair. You start by wrapping the post with the thin wire. I like to use a long strand from an old electrical cord. Then coat the post with epoxy and slip a short length (Maybe 5/8" or?)of the fuel line over the glued up post. Fill the space as required.

I have done that a few times with good results. My Honda Accord was breaking off heater control knobs every winter. It always seemed to happen when the wife was driving...HMMM?

Anyway, I got tired of replacing the knobs all the time so I repared the new one that way and never had a problem after that. :cool:

-Mark.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts