Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking to upgrade the rear drums on my 69..i am on a tight budget and dont want to pay alot for liek a bear or some other big name kit..i know i can do the rear disc kit out of like ricks or classic. but i will be doing the fronts with the c5 or ls1 conversion and i know it will cost roughly about 500 is their a conversion for the rear that is liek this for cheaper..thanks bryan

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
correct me if i am wrong: is this all i need to do the c5 conversion on the front? drum spindle/hub from 1st gen

97+ C5 caliper, or Zo6 caliper, or 98+ Fbody caliper, 98+ Fbody caliper bracket 98+ Fbody rotor (12" only.) 98+ Fbody front brake line new bearings and lug studs and the custom bracket...however i have stock front discs can those spindles be used or will i have to get the drum spindles.....and i still need to know about the rear?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I can't help you with the rears, but I just installed the C5 kit on the front of my 68. Yes, you can use your disc spindle, but you have to make sure the adaptor bracket is machined for that spindle. Most kits are for use with the drum spindle. You will also need drum hubs. I ordered my brackets from speed tech and I love them, but after hours and hours of scrounging parts to make it all work I wish I would have just ordered everything from www.touring-classics.com. I'm not trying to promote them, but they have a big brake kit with all the parts included for around the same money I spent trying to piece it all together. I didn't know about them when I began this quest. Realistically you can buy just the brackets and locate everything from ebay and other classifieds/dealership. I just don't think I actually saved any money when all is said and done. As for the rear, I don't know about discs, but I believe it's Master Power Brakes that offers a very large finned drum brake upgrade that seems to work every bit as good as a disc setup. The rear brakes are not nearly as critical. I plan to stay with drums out back and just upgrade to the larger size.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Check out this link. Junk yard cheap rear brakes can be had from a Cadillac. You'll have to buy Trans Am Rotors. I priced them at around $65 bucks each. I will be eventually doing this swap on my 76 Nova SS. Doesn't get any cheaper than this.

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/6765/page11.html

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
67ptcamaro....can you tell me all the parts that you had to get i guess i am a little lost on the backing plate thing never really tore into the rear end like this being only 19 any help would be great

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i am now seeing that more people are doing the c4 conversion...i guess my question is which is the easiest route and the cheapest to do..i will concentrate on the fronts first..

·
Registered
131 Posts
importkiller69ss said:
i am now seeing that more people are doing the c4 conversion...i guess my question is which is the easiest route and the cheapest to do..i will concentrate on the fronts first..
Most adaptor brackets are for use with a C5 caliper. With that set-up you can use either a C4 or C5 rotor. The C4 rotor offers a little more clearance for your rim to clear the caliper. There is nothing wrong with drums on the rear at all. The rear disc thing is exagerated. It looks cool through the spokes, but doesn't offer any advantages to a beefier drum. Plus all your hardware just bolts up without any hassle. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I would suggest not mixing a C4/5 front caliper with any earlier model (70-80's Caddy, trans-am, etc.) The difference in caliper bore sizes makes for a mis-matched system that can be dangerous. A while back one of the car mags did a 0-100-0 competition. Craig Boone's '69 Camaro spun out twice at high speed because the rear brakes had too much bias that could not be tuned out with a proportioning valve.

Here's how to do the C4/4th-gen Z28 conversion using mostly GM parts. It can easily be duplicated using junkyard parts. It's basically the Baer 13" Track front / 12" Touring rear. It's is a very capable system when combined with a proper pad, master cylinder, and booster. http://www.geocities.com/torkerscamaro/torker.html

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah i am gettin things lined up now to get the parts off a 99 ss....but i am still not sure on one thing..since my car is a 69 do i need to get 2 rh side backing plates and calipers to coincide with my staggerd shocks?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I am one of those people that has the PBR (98 LS1 Camaro) calipers on the front with the Cadillac rear disc system. It DOESN'T work!

The pedal falls almost all the way to the floor before it finally engages. This is due to my small 15/16" M/C trying to fill those huge rear calipers up and move them out. I am in the process of putting the rear calipers off the same '98 Camaro onto the rear of my car. That should solve those problems.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts