Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Can somebody tell me if there would be a difference in the trans code stamps between a Muncie M20 trans built in October, 1968 versus one built in October 1969 for a 1969 Z28?

Recall 1969 was a long model year for camaros so there were 2 October's worth of camaros built in one model year. The production model year as most probably know here was August 1968 through the end of November 1969.

Here is the P code stamp on the trans. P9R29A

I used 3 different sources to decode: Jerry's MacNeish's book, Chevrolet by the Numbers, and Camaro Research Group online.

Transmission code stamp: P9R29A (4-speed Muncie, 1969 Model Year (not calendar year), October, 29th, M20)

My 1969 Z28's build date is 2nd week of December 1968 so I am believing this is an October 1968 built transmission.

Thank you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes there is a partial VIN and it matches the cars VIN plate and partial VIN stamped on the engine deck next to the DZ stamped code.

·
Premium Member
6,556 Posts
The A,B and C trans type designation did not show up until November 68, so the Oct 68 trans could have it (depending on the VIN) and the Oct 69 trans would for sure.

Also beware of restamps!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Didn't realize we were talking about an LA built car. the vin's I made reference to were Norwood vins. LA stopped building Camaros in June '69, so there is only one P9R29A with an LA Camaro vin number stamped on it, besides the possibility of two Norwood Camaro vin number stamped units.
Yes it is an Oct '68 built trans.
ps. according to JM and a GM service bulletin the suffix letter trans code was effective Oct 21, '68.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Didn't realize we were talking about an LA built car. the vin's I made reference to were Norwood vins. LA stopped building Camaros in June '69, so the is only one P9R29A with an LA Camaro vin number stamped on it.
Yes it is an Oct '68 built trans.
ps. according to JM and a GM service bulletin the suffix letter trans code was effective Oct 21, '68.
Yes that is correct my matching numbers trans for my 10D Z28 was assembled October 19th and does not have the A,B,C suffix.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everybody for helping me clear this up. The information about LOS not producing camaros after June '69 was new to me and helps confirm that there would only be one of these transmissions out there. The partial VIN stamped on it is 1L512979 and it is a LOS built car. I did catch the suffix production running change and this would be correct to have the 'A' stamped at the end of the date code. Thanks again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Listen fellows. what your saying sounds right but I dont believe it is. Muncie dated these transmissions when (they) the transmission not the car were assembled. In this case, you have a very early 69 Z/28 camaro that was built late in 68 with a transmission that suggests it was assembled very late in 69 (P9R). although the partial Vin# is on the transmission, those stamps could be bought. What if that transmission had no VIN# on it? Than someone who has a 1969 Z/28 camaro that was built in october of 69 could use it. Not correct fellows. That transmission in the car listed in this article should be dated P8R----. Thats the way I have been buying 1969 Z/28 camaros over the past 35 years. You can go to muncies web site and read how the transmissions were dated. Muncie produced them, than dated them when they were assembled, not for a (one) specific car or production line. That transmission could have also been used in a Norwood car in which the production run for 69 went right into DEC of 69. Again, dont be fooled with the Vin# on the case. Any protecto plate with this situation?

·
Registered
464 Posts
it does say at the camaros.org web site, that the second number is model year not calander year. so IMO thats a matching number trans. there would also be one stamped just like it built on oct 29th of 1969.

·
Premium Member
6,556 Posts
The second digit is the MODEL YEAR. The Year for building typically started in late August. For example the 1969 MODEL YEAR started in August of 1968

P9R would be 1969 MODEL YEAR, not build date year

P8R would be 1968 MODEL YEAR

The info you have is dead wrong.

·
Registered
19 Posts
well if I'm dead wrong, post a picture of an original proteco plate that shows this situation is correct! Thats the only real way to tell. How about the 68 camaros that were still being produced in that time frame with muncie 4spds, were they also dated P9?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The picture of a Protecto plate could be of any car in the same time frame, not this specific car! Listen, not trying to be a know it all. All I am is a well seasoned camaro Buyer collector whos been in this hobby since 1975. Owned quite a few of califorinia Z's both 69 and 70. I'm interested in buying or trading for this specific car in question but no one has yet shown me concrete evidence and that would be from original documentation.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
well if I'm dead wrong, post a picture of an original proteco plate that shows this situation is correct!
Here you go...

ALL transmissions (not just Muncies) were date coded for the MODEL year, not the calendar year. As you can see, this POP shows a 1968 Los Angeles built LF7 (327/210) Camaro Sport Coupe, assembled in November, 1967. The transmisison is an M35 Powerglide built on October 28th, 1967. Note the T8R28N.

Ed

·
Premium Member
6,556 Posts
great Example Ed.

Case Closed!:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks...again. Looks like the experts have spoken and the verdict is that it is the original matching numbers transmission that came with the car. I never really doubted it but this XRAM guy would not let go. It's amazing the information you guys know.

Tom - If you have a matching numbers transmission too I wonder what your stamped transmission code reads being the cars were built so close together in LOS? That is interesting they were built so close together. Do you know what the serial number production run was for LOS built camaros?

·
Premium Member
6,556 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts