Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me toss this question out there for a consensus.
I am in the middle of a restoration on a 67 Camaro right now. My plan is to Clone a plain Jane into a 350 SS ( not hiding this fact ). I have purchased allot of parts and the Body is on it's way. I feel I am about 1 year away of completing this project if I stay the corse.

My question is that a Developer wants a small portion of my land and he is going to purchase it for $25,000,, Should I spend about $10,000 to complete my project or should I start looking for a decent daily driver for $15,000 or so ????.

With the help of Team Camaro members I could find one for sale and not get burnt doing so.
Thanks
Joe

·
Gold Lifetime Member
10,548 Posts
Let me toss this question out there for a consensus.
I am in the middle of a restoration on a 67 Camaro right now. My plan is to Clone a plain Jane into a 350 SS ( not hiding this fact ). I have purchased allot of parts and the Body is on it's way. I feel I am about 1 year away of completing this project if I stay the corse.

My question is that a Developer wants a small portion of my land and he is going to purchase it for $25,000,, Should I spend about $10,000 to complete my project or should I start looking for a decent daily driver for $15,000 or so ????.

With the help of Team Camaro members I could find one for sale and not get burnt doing so.
Thanks
Joe

Just about always cheaper to buy one done vs building it yourself. But to many the pride and satisfaction of doing it yourself is much of the value of a car. Also, can you find exactly what you want in a done car?

Answer that question and whether doing it yourself is important, and you'll know which way you need to go.

Jody

·
Gold Lifetime Member
403 Posts
When I was much younger I always had to "build" my own cars. I had to put my own blood ,sweat and tears into the project to feel it was " my car". Now days if it needs much more than an oil change and washing, i'm not interested. My how time changes things.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Hey Joe, if it were me, I would set $10k aside to complete my project car and invest the remaining $15k in the stock market. Charlie 69 RS

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to add something to my original question,, I have had projects in the past and I love the satisfaction of saying I built it but that was 20 years ago and that is why I posted this question. In my minds eye summer is on its way and I would rather be driving then grinding.

Joe

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just to add something to my original question,, I have had projects in the past and I love the satisfaction of saying I built it but that was 20 years ago and that is why I posted this question. In my minds eye summer is on its way and I would rather be driving then grinding.

Joe
Joe, I think you've found your answer. Good luck with the future purchase and enjoy the summer.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
824 Posts
Why not do both? I normally buy classics that are pretty far along with the interior done, decent paint and running. Then I add my performance touches, along with lots of 'warn parts' replacing. The end result is normally a real nice ride. The '67 I bought in Sept. is a number matching car with cowl hood and great paint. I am completely replacing the suspension, engine (408" SBC) and drivetrain to 'make it mine'. I am not a paint and body guy (yet - my '56 is a bit more of a project), so I buy the cars close and quickly get them where I want them.

Any way is the right way. Good Luck and ENJOY!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi

My 2 cents

Take the money all of it and invest it , your project will be done with or without the land money . Please do your homework before investing your money.:beers:

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
IMHO you gotta ask yourself one question....can you find one "ready to roll" just like your project car ls gonna look in your mind when you are done with it?
If not I don't think you'll be satisfied for long.

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Joe, you & Daniel make a good point. Where not getting any younger and want the gratification of being able to drive that classic here in the spring and coming summer and that's not going to happen with the project car. Personally, I'm not a project guy either, but be forwarned----- upon buying both of my current classics, both sellers said they ran strong, no rust, etc, etc., and they even passed my extensive check lists, only to find they both had serious motor and other assorted problems shortly down the road. So, while you may think you are just going to buy into a great running car, that's not always the case even with the best of due diligence. I have been fortunate to hold onto my cars as they appreciated past my level of investment and while I'm not in for the resale value, it's nice to know you aren't flushing all of those $ down the toilet. That said, you will have the $25k to go shopping with------ just do a complete logical inspection of the perspective car to make sure it too does not wind up as a project. Charlie 69 RS

·
Registered
334 Posts
In my minds eye summer is on its way and I would rather be driving then grinding.
Joe
My soln to this problem is to never do more in the winter than I can get done before summer. She's always driving in the summer!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts