Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gold Lifetime Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asked by several people for dimensions of the trunk panels I built. Here's what it looks like finished:
http://www.camaros.net/showroom/showfull.php?photo=2132

It uses: (1) floor panel; (2) side panels; (1) forward panel; (2) hinge covers; (1) tail light cover. The hinge cover and tail light covers are each built using two panels. Nothing attaches to the car. They attach to each other using pillow blocks and velcro.

I would suggest first cutting these out of cardboard and make any slight adjustments needed for your car.

They use medium density fiberboard (MDF) covered with a batting and vinyl/carpet. The vinyl is attached with spray adhesive. Use heavy duty adhesive. Even though I did, when I removed the panels for these pictures I found much of the adhesive not holding. Once they are in place it really doesn't matter.

Here are pictures of the various panels with dimensions.

Attachments

·
Gold Lifetime Member
824 Posts
That is above and beyond being generous!

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Im not doing this in my current car but I was impressed and really enjoyed reading how to do this. Ive always wondered, Its easier than I thought. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Look great thanks for the info and pics.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave,

What did you use for the U shape? It is black in the pic. It goes 0n the hinge cover panel.

It's the stuff you can buy at any auto parts store for protecting door edges. It's a channel piece that's sticky on the inside. It's pretty stiff, but if you heat it up first it's not bad.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very sweet--how much time do you have in the project?

Thanks. I really don't know the time (and probably don't want to). The most time consuming was making the cardboard templates. Once I had the pieces figured out it was a Saturday afternoon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Dave, this is beautiful stuff! Thank you very much for sharing. I am going to start mine in a couple of weeks and this will definitely save me some time. Do you by chance have any dimensions for the sub box you have in place? I have a pair of Marathon 12" subs that I want to install, I found a box online that looks to be pretty nice, but figured I would explore building my own before I buy a factory made one.

This is the one I found so far for 1st Gen Camaro

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,425 Posts
Someday I might get around to doing something along these lines. I have a full, shaped Lloyd's black loop carpet in the rear now. My first step would be to make a finished vertical panel behind the rear seat which should be easy enough once I get some dimensions onto a piece of cardboard. I don't intend on putting subs/amps in this car, it's still radio-less LOL. I don't want to give up any space if I don't have to bc when I travel to shows and cruise nights, I inevitably have one or possibly two folding chairs, a loaded detail bucket, a small igloo, my showboard and it's stand, a bagged set of jumper cables (never have used them), and maybe a tripod or monopod.

I also am contemplating a rear battery project, and if I do that I might consider easily removed (Velcro?) side covers. Most shows require hoods open, some ask that one door be open, I've only been to one where they asked that trunks are open. One of the biggest shows in this area uses a five category scoring system; engine detail, paint, interior, wheels/tires, and "presentation". That last one is always interesting... some cars show up with giant stuffed animals inside and outside the car, some have car-hop trays attached to their doors with fake food, andothers have mannequins inside or outside the car. I saw one shot of a "Bluesmobile" with fully dressed mannequins replicating Jake and Elwood dancing next to the car! Years back when I had my show truck, I had a polished SS rod that kept the door at a fixed opening of about 20" from the latch post. Never bothered with the Camaro though.

Many of the local stereo shops that build custom enclosures use a black carpet-like material to wrap the boxes and give them a finished look. I think that rather than going that route, I might consider wrapping vinyl that would match what's going on in my white interior... or perhaps use a combination since I have black loop carpeting in the passenger compartment as well as the trunk. I'm gonna ask my upholstery guy what adhesive he uses when he's wrapping vinyl over interior parts. This is another of those possible "Winter" projects, and having a nice little wood shop in my basement makes it more doable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts