Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I picked up my 12 bolt housing last night - date correct 67 12 bolt! WOOHOO! The only thing is that it is an empty housing. So I called a coupld of local differential places and they want $1150 to install the bearing/seal kit, Ring and pinion, Eaton posi carrier, yolk, etc... Does this seam like a lot to you guys? I was thinking about doing it myself but am wondering how hard it is to line up and adjust the R&P. It sounded like it is quite a task for a novice. Any opinions?

Bill

·
20,706 Posts
It does require special tools but they can be found pretty easy. You really need to be careful in set up.
Yes $1000+ seems steep but may be the norm in your area,call around.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I was thinking about doing it myself but am wondering how hard it is to line up and adjust the R&P. It sounded like it is quite a task for a novice. Any opinions?

Bill
Check out this DVD. Its only $30.00. They shipped mine pretty fast. The DVD is very professionally made & informative. I think it will cover everything you want to know & save you big bucks when you do the work yourself. I bought mine to rebuild my 67 12 bolt with the original 355 gears. I really wouldn't attempt rebuilding a differential without the kind of knowledge this DVD offers. Good luck.
http://www.accuautoparts.com/axledet...ts_id=TEC:1600

:)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Check out this DVD. Its only $30.00. They shipped mine pretty fast. The DVD is very professionally made & informative. I think it will cover everything you want to know & save you big bucks when you do the work yourself. I bought mine to rebuild my 67 12 bolt with the original 355 gears. I really wouldn't attempt rebuilding a differential without the kind of knowledge this DVD offers. Good luck.
http://www.accuautoparts.com/axledet...ts_id=TEC:1600

:)
Thanks for the link.
Is the video made by these guys or Richmond?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Dean,
I haven't rebuilt one...but check out the Chevy Punch link at the top of the page. There is a VERY DETAILED writeup on rebuilding one in the current issue. BGH is the contributing expert btw.
Scott

·
Registered
862 Posts
Thanks for the link.
Is the video made by these guys or Richmond?
No, its not by Richmond. Its by "Technicalvideos." they have a web site. They also sell this through Classic Industries but, its about $50.00 in their catalog. I think its very good quality. It will show how to rebuild several different types of rear-ends, including the Chevy 10 & 12 bolt & a break down of the posi unit itself.
That sounds like a good price though (you mentioned above) if its for parts & labor. If its just labor though, forget it.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, its not by Richmond. Its by "Technicalvideos." they have a web site. They also sell this through Classic Industries but, its about $50.00 in their catalog. I think its very good quality. It will show how to rebuild several different types of rear-ends, including the Chevy 10 & 12 bolt & a break down of the posi unit itself.
That sounds like a good price though (you mentioned above) if its for parts & labor. If its just labor though, forget it.
No this is for:

Eaton posi carrier
R&P Gears
axles
bearing/seal kit
yolk
Labor

I'm starting to think this isn't too bad. I got another quote today for $1450 and it wasn't a place that was personally recommended.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts