Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two part question guys-

1. What is the bulb size for the side front and back markers for a 68?

2. What type headlight do you recommend for the 68? Not that it matters, but it has the RS grill on it- not sure what headlight number/type to get-

Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Two of these:

Amazon.com: Cibie 082440 Light Unit: Automotive

And one pair of these:

Amazon.com: Philips H4 X-treme Vision Car Headlight Bulbs. 12v 55w.: Automotive

And you can make one for much less, but it is still very nice:

Amazon.com: Painless Wiring 30815 Hdlt Rel Conv Harn: Automotive

I bought the bulbs at a local store for much less than amazon. The bulbs are nice and white without any "ricer" blue to them.

The Cibie Valeo reflectors are "E code". They have a very defined beam pattern and can be aimed precisely. Not cheap, but wow, are they better. And the reflectors don't look weird and super modern like some of the replacement reflectors.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Two of these:

And one pair of these:

I bought the bulbs at a local store for much less than amazon. The bulbs are nice and white without any "ricer" blue to them.

The Cibie Valeo reflectors are "E code". They have a very defined beam pattern and can be aimed precisely. Not cheap, but wow, are they better. And the reflectors don't look weird and super modern like some of the replacement reflectors.

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two of these:

And one pair of these:

I have a quick question- why does it say those lights are illegal in the US for cars? Saw the comments on the Amazon page?

What about the side marker bulb size?

·
19,907 Posts
Two of these:

And one pair of these:

Pics would be nice too ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I will get some pictures tonight.

Yes, they are not DOT approved...they are European spec reflectors. If I get pulled over and the cop nitpicks on this then it definitely is not my day to buy a lottery ticket. The dot spec pattern is a cloud of light that is difficult to adjust properly without an aimer. The e-codes can be aimed with a marker (or masking tape) and a flat wall/parking lot.

I have seen some new cars with similar patterns.

Some aiming instructions, plus a photo of e-codes vs dot reflectors.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=566922

More comprehensive aiming instructions:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

You can see with the sharp cutoff that you avoid blinding oncoming traffic with glare. Some people even say you can run higher wattage (I think technically 55 w is the highest low beam you are allowed to run by law) because while it is much brighter, it does not blind oncoming traffic since the cutoff is so precise.

The wiring harness with relays ensures full battery voltage is making it to the bulbs. The dash switch is used to only energize the relay...the bulb power feed comes directly from the battery to the relay to the bulbs (with an included fuse). If your entire system is in good shape you may be getting full battery voltage to your bulbs right now and the harness will not make anything better. (you can measure it with a voltmeter) If you want to try out higher wattage bulbs, then the harness is a good idea since the factory switch/harness was never designed for the higher current draw. You can make your own harness for much cheaper (and there is another similar harness that is made but is not as nice), but this one is very nicely made and is as close to plug n play as you can get.

I do not have any recommendations for the marker lights...We have a 67 :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
"Pics would be nice too "

Is there a paid member that I can email the pictures to so they can post them, or should I just link to a photobucket account?

·
14,281 Posts
"Pics would be nice too "

Is there a paid member that I can email the pictures to so they can post them, or should I just link to a photobucket account?
Well use photo bucket or better yet maybe become a paid member ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
The photos I took look terrible (forgot to clean off phone lens cover) and I am not going back out in the cold tonight to re-take them.

The bulbs look exactly like this:

http://dsl.torque.net/images/178HCR.jpg

If someone wants a photo of them installed PM me with your email and I'll take some new ones and send them.

And in the future Vega$ I'll use photobucket...I do not see a need to spend my money to be able to post pictures in order to help other people out...maybe when I have more disposable income I can change my screen name to Kmberjo'$67 and become a paid member...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts