Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Camaro SS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to check and adjust timing today and pulled the 68 Camaro outside to warm up for a drive before checking. The car started perfectly, and was idling fine, when it suddenly died. I went to see if I could restart it and there was no voltage, gauge cluster movement, and no sound from the electric fuel pump.

Battery Voltage is 12.88
Starter 12.88
Horn Relay 12.88
Fuses 8.7 - losing 4 volts at the bulkhead
Pulled the bulkhead connector, voltage is 12.88

The upper half of the bulkhead connector appears to be melted. I suppose this could be caused by a short, by extra resistance due to corrosion or poor connector fitment, or something else beginning to break down somewhere.

Is this a clean everything up and see what you get situation, or is it time to go all in on a complete harness replacement?

Gas Engineering Metal Auto part Font
Liquid Ingredient Fluid Recipe Cuisine

Gas Engineering Metal Auto part Font

·
Registered
1968 Camaro SS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It was a busy work week and I didn't get back to the car until today.

I cleaned the bulkhead connector and fuse panel with some QD cleaner and brass brushes. It turns out the part I thought was melting was simply the unused connector holes underneath the grease. On the fuses, they were so corroded I broke a fuse puller and two fuses getting in there to clean everything up.

Once reassembled, voltage is good and steady and everything is working as expected. The car fires up and runs fine now. I also noticed that the battery meter does not fluctuate as much with headlights or turn signals turned on.

While inspecting everything inside, I did notice several splices, random disconnected wires, and wore nuts. So even thought it seems to be working for now, I did order the classic update kit from AAW as I figure that will be better for the long term and a good winter project anyway.

Thank you for the all the inputs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts